Guitar pickups

panterrules925
panterrules925
08/15/2005 3:00 am
Has anyone either played or owned the Dimebucker guitar pickups or the Angus Young pickups. If you have how do they sound and would i have to go to a guitar tech to have them put in.( anyone have any suggestions for good pickups, I play a Gibson SG.)
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
08/15/2005 12:44 pm
I'm not familiar with the pickups in the Angus Young SG... I'm pretty sure they're probably just vintage Gibson pickups. The Dimebucker is comparable to an EMG with it's ceramic magnets... It's bright with a little bit of natural overdrive. No matter how hard you try to clean it up it will still sound a bit colored... which is good for metal but baaaaaaad for any clean parts. It's a metal pickup made for metal God... what else do you expect. The pickups in the Angus Young SG are probably a bit more versatile... they probably either have an Alnico 2 or 5 magnet and they probably have a good clean tone...

As for installation... It depends. Some humbuckers come in 2 wire applications some come in four wire applications allowing you to coil-tap (use it as a humbucker or single coil). Some, like the EMGs, come in a pre-loomed quick harness that all you have to do is wire up one end of the harness then snap it into the pickup. I would recommend taking it to a tech if you're not sure about the basics of electronics... such as current, resistance, grounding, and basic boolean algebra.... good luck! hope this helps atleast a little.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.