View post (Playing blues over a major key)

View thread

equator
equator
08/11/2005 1:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI know all of this. It will NOT sound like crap if you play the pentatonic or blues minor scales. By the way, the only disastrous thing here is how this theory has been phrased. The Cminor scale does not contain a D#, it contains an Eb. While those are sonically the same, the names have a meaning. There is also no A# in Cminor. However, there is a Bb. However, you would not play a natural minor scale over this backing. If you play a Relative scale, it WILL NOT SOUND GOOD, even though it contains the same notes, because you will stress weak notes. If you DO stress the strong notes, you're not PLAYING a parallel scale your playing the original major. Do NOT play a relative scale in this situation. I know what I'm talking about and have heard people try to do it before. It sounds like ass.

Yes, theoretically the "c minor pentatonic" contains (Eb & Bb) and sonically they are the same as (D#-A#).
So the "C minor pentatonic" goes like this:{C-Eb-F-G-Bb}
You are still playing the wrong notes with the right name.
I keep asking, where is the "E" note that defines the quality of major chord and where is the chromatic tone caracteristic of the blues music?

The right scale to play over "C Major" is:
[C-D-Eb-E-G-A]
wich gives you:
-The tenssion notes(C,E,G)
-The Major third(E) that defines the quality of major chord.
-The chromatic tone, when you add the "Blue Note" between (D&E)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.