I want ot clear up this gay thing

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/25/2001 7:43 pm
Good point Maj, but at what point was homophobia called racism? we all know that disliking gay people isnt racist so why mention it? ur confused!!!!!

Later Axl
# 1
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/27/2001 9:10 pm
That "Race" scares me.
MYK
# 2
Crazy Karen
Crazy Karen
05/27/2001 11:51 pm
Hey Trendkillah,

Did you learn how to read?

YOU SAID: The term 'gay' wasn't used to describe someones sexuality or someone saying they aren't a 'fan' of something but as DEROGATORY description. BIG difference.

Umm...SAME THING!!! Not being a fan something is thinking something is crap, just a nicer way of putting it.

The point I'm trying to make is, if GAY people don't have a problem with the word then why should anyone else? It seems like we are creating a huge fuss over something relatively un-important.
IS WHAT HORSES EAT?
# 3
trendkillah
trendkillah
05/28/2001 2:23 am
Originally posted by Crazy Karen
The point I'm trying to make is, if GAY people don't have a problem with the word then why should anyone else? It seems like we are creating a huge fuss over something relatively un-important.

Ok, let me put it like this then.
If we don't have the right to point out that language like that could bother someone, then who are you to say that people should not be offended by it?
Let me ask you, are your gay friends 1/10 of the worlds' population? NO! Therefore their opinion doesn't say anything about others', and thus you don't have the right to tell people not to be offended.
I would be surprised if you can't even imagine how the use of adjectives like that could bother, or even offend people.

Like someone stated earlier, it's sad that language like this is becoming more and more socially accepted.
And yes, gay also means 'joyful', but you have to be pretty ignorant to believe that that's the meaning of the word that was intended.

I think I can read quite well actually, I can even make out what some of the words mean, lol.

Well, I shouldn't have posted this anyway, cause probably nobody gives a **** and will think I'm an idiot.
But i've got my own oppinion, and even though I might get childish about it like those Kirk Hammett fans on this board(no disrespect meant whatsoever), I'll defend it like those guys do.

If someone does actually agree with me, let yourself be heared, that's what this place is for.

Greetz, TK

[Edited by trendkillah on 05-28-2001 at 02:59 PM]
# 4

05/28/2001 3:16 pm
This type of thing is becoming more and more prevailant on this board, and it's sad. Check out the thread, "i want to clear some things up about creed"
# 5
James Hetfield Is Jesus
James Hetfield Is Jesus
05/28/2001 9:47 pm
The Moderator "James" is real mature.

calling people Gay and all you know.
JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 6
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/28/2001 10:42 pm
Yeah James, did u change peoples posts to make them call themselves gay? thats low

Axl
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/29/2001 3:14 am
Homophobia is the same thing as racism. So gay people don't neccissarily look different than "normal" people, it's the same pointless hate based on superficial criteria. The same goes for hating "nerds," "hippies," people for other countries, sides of town, etc. It's the basic "I need to hate someone I can identify as different" emotion. And from the Balkans to Kashmir, to Indonisia, to America, to Uganda, I can see it tearing the world apart.

As for the gay perspective on the word "gay," it's my experience that like any other population some people are more offended than others. I have a friend who's mother is gay and she can sit there and roll off gay joke after gay joke all night long. I know another guy who only takes offence to "Fag" because it symbolises the time when homosexuals were burned alive at the steak. Other gay people I know are hyper sensitive to anything that can be taken as hurtful.

I myself take the side of the First Amendment. It's your choice if you want to be illiterate or not. I do think that we need to take a collective chill pill though.

Finally, as for the Creed thread, I would take the "I'm gay" modifacation as a "shot across the bow." James could have done far more severe and we all know it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/29/2001 10:44 pm
i applaud James for doing what he did, the guy was doing what we are condemning on this thread and he changed it so it wasn't offensive except to the offender. according to most of the posts here, he desrved it

anyways calling or using gay as an insult is the same thing as calling an african american a N*****, it's just not right. we can't insult someone for their lifestyle, whether we agree with it or not

but we've said that millions of times on this thread, so let's just all agree that this is not right and close this thread altogether
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 9
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/29/2001 11:19 pm
This entire thread is wrong for guitar tricks. Please post those thoughts somewhere else.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.