My quest has ended on a Stiletto

Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/30/2005 3:50 am
Well, for the last 2 months ive been checking out heads...with a mind set on a Marshall JCM 800. My quest led me to a silver jubilee head. I eventually came to want a mesa boogie cabnit...cuz of its awesome quality (traditional size, same as a vintage marshall cabnet). Well i was in the store and i ended up plugin into a stiletto... OMG it was a dream. So i got the girlfriend to buy it for me :D . Wow what a amp, 2 channels, 6 modes, variec switch, rectifer/diode switchin on 2 channels, 50/100w switchable option. Its the best mesa clean in the last 10-15 years hands down....save maybe the lonestar... The smell of leather is filling my nose right now from the "just bought" smell. Unfortinitly i havent let the beast loose...i got a knock from upstairs already :(. The best description is a modded jcm 800 with much more options... I however find i can nail plexis, jcms 800/900s, fender cleans...(not vintage), orange, vox. My god. All my guitars made a perfect union...however the tele was not very impressive...i will have to tweak with the 6 different modes to find a nice combination. If anyone is or have tried out this amp...let me know if u love it as much as me...
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 1
yngwievai
yngwievai
07/30/2005 8:48 pm
ah yes, my friend has one of those hooked up to a marshall. IT'S AWWWESOME. Clean is great, i must say it's the best i've heard.

Although i still prefer roadkings over it, been using 'em for awhile now.
# 2
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/30/2005 10:55 pm
Road kings are good, but 2 different amps for 2 different...(or 2 millon) different styles. Although i ve played both, i found that stiletto has nicer cleans and better overdrive. Roadking has everything else. In terms of sounding like a rectifer, the RK is aces! The RK is also sooo neat with all those options, and different configurations you need a PHD to unraviel all those awesome tones!
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/31/2005 4:07 am
yeah, the stilleto is the most Marshall sounding Mesa so far. yeah yeah yeah, I know most people would say, so just get a Marshall, but the point is, Marshall doesn't make a Marshall that's as versatile as Mesa's Marshall head (stilletto). But still, don't you find it quite ironic?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
07/31/2005 4:14 am
Im not sure what is ironic... However, i find maybe 1 mode in 1 channel similar to marshall. To say this amp is marshaesque is to say its fenderesque, or xxx esque. If anyone tells you its a marshall mesa, then they either have never played it, or only spent limited time with it at the store. However to say marshall like is probably fine for a broad overview. And to think i was a die hards marhsall fan...
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/31/2005 9:56 pm
I wasn't trying to be rude with that post, and am sorry if I came across that way. I myself haven't plaid one yet, though am dying to try one out. All I've done is read a lot of reviews of it, and almost everyone of them refer to it as being "Marshall Like" or more Marshall sounding than current production Marshalls. With the irony, I was just trying to be funny by implying that Mesa is making a better Marshall than Marshall is.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/01/2005 2:55 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI wasn't trying to be rude with that post, and am sorry if I came across that way.

I was unsure of your question...in no way did i beleive that you would ever be rude, as i beleive pretty much no one is on this site :) . I was just saying my experience...i went into it as hearsy thinking "in the box" as a marshall attempt..but as i explained...nothing can be furtherist from the truth adding to the old adage of "trying for yourself"

sorry if i sounded snappy...rest assure i found no offence in your statement.

P.S. The only bad thing about this amp is how bad it makes all your previous amps sound. go try it! i would love to hear some feed back.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/01/2005 3:31 am
If I could find one to try I would, but it'll probably be a while before I get back to the nearest Mesa Dealer. Untill then, I continue to be impressed by my Peavey Triple XXX, which can sound Marshall Like and Mesa Like, but has it's own unique character. I'm glad you found "your" amp! I know it's a great feeling when you feel you couldn't be happier with your tone.

Be sure to give us a full report on it in the Gear Review sectioin.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
konman
konman
08/02/2005 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: PoleraSo i got the girlfriend to buy it for me...

Sounds like a great amp and a great girlfriend!
Did you get her new stilettos? ;)
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/02/2005 7:35 pm
Dude! You Pimp! I must have overlooked the part of your g/f buying the amp for you. Please tell me all your secrets! I must learn.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/02/2005 8:02 pm
I play a lot of pretty long song ballads :p
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/24/2005 1:06 pm
Ok, so how about an update now that you've had the Stiletto for a while. Have you had a chance to really cut loose on it yet? What styles do you feel it is best suited for and least suited for? Does the clean stay clean, or does it get gritty when you dig down with some volume? Do you find the lower power switch to be useful at all? What about the different modes... what are they, and where do you find yourself playing at the most?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a gear whore, so I must know :o

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/24/2005 3:22 pm
I would like to know how much this amp cost you (or should I say your girlfriend). I really want to get a mesa, I tried out a triple rectifier in a store once... and I was hooked... thing is, I did it with a cheap $140 guitar that was identical to my ibanez... and it still sounded sweet! I can only imagine if I tried to play my gibson through it...

but the real question is, how did you get your girlfriend to buy it for you? I want my girlfriend to buy me mesa heads! lol... well, my birthday is coming up, and she apparently got me something, and her brother (who is also a guitarist) said that I would like it... so, I'm very perplexed as to what it is... I'm thinking that it's some kind of pedal, but I'm not sure..
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 13
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/24/2005 3:32 pm
To answer PRS i havent cut loose on it yet :( sorry im in the process of buying a new home (for it) and will move out anyday....but right now its in a townhouse complex and the neighbours already started a fit...:( but soon. To answer you 6 strings, it was a total of approx $3800 CAD with a traditional 4x12 mesa cab. If you like a recto you probably wont like this cuz you will be expecting recto like distortion. The best i can equate this to is all about crunch. Hard rock machine, not nu metal. I can also say that when i comes to cleans, its way way way better then a recto...but the distortions are different. This is overdrive.

On the girlfriend part, i took some lessons from Dr. Simon ;) . Ya its true me and him are pimpin our bodies in the name of Rock! Actually i buy lotsa things for her...so i get her to buy what i want. its essentially like im buying myself it...but she feels better.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.