fret buzzing

FieryBreath
FieryBreath
05/03/2001 4:24 am
I am relatively new to guitar, I know the major and minor chords and some scales. But on my low E string and sometimes and the A string I get very annoying fret buzzing. I have tried setting the action higher but it really didn't help. Any suggestions?

Jason
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
05/03/2001 8:04 am
Sounds like your guitar might need a truss-rod adjustment, let a guitar-tech have a look and set it up properly for ya.
Also, try fretting notes right behind the fret-wire.

Greetz, TK
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/06/2001 4:43 pm
I asume that when you say you raised the action, you did so at the bridge?

If that didn't help, and your truss rod is set up correctly, you nay need to have an adjustment made at the nut. This is not something you should try yourself, unless you're prepared for the possibility that you might bugger it up, and have to get a professional to replace the nut anyway.

Another thing; the action should be set with the larger strings further away from the fretboard than the thinner strings. This is because they move more than the thin strings when they vibrate.

I have no idea how much experience you have, so please forgive me if it seems like I'm pointing out something obvious. Besides, these posts get read by a lot of people, and some of them can benefit from the replies to other people's questions.

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 05-06-2001 at 12:46 PM]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/23/2001 5:50 am

Hmmm . . . what about frez buzz on acoustic guitars? The 8th fret on the fourth string buzzes on my Washburn.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/24/2001 1:09 am
The same principals apply, but adjusting the bridge saddle is a whole lot trickier than twisting a few setscrews on an electric guitar.

If the eighth fret is the only place that buzzes, its likely to need some fret work. This is definitely not something you should try on your own, unless you have a junk guitar that you're willing to trash.

Take it to a pro guitar tech. If you're lucky, they'll tell you its something simple (low cost). Worst case, they can give you an estimate up front, and you can decide whether its worth the coin.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.