i have sonar, my MIDI or WAV wont work

quickfingers
quickfingers
07/27/2005 11:38 pm
i record alot of **** on a program ive had for about 6 months, its sonar 3, a version of cakewalk. this is probbaly a stupid question, becuase i think its a hardware issue, but i cant hear anything i make on MIDI instruments. when i start up cakewalk, it says i dont have any MIDI outputs, and i have no selection to choose from. im pretty sure windows has a MIDI player default on it, i can see it in the sound options. but i cant hear it. any suggestions/comments?
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/28/2005 1:57 am
You need a midi tone generator on your sound card or it is no sound !! Sorry the news is not better !

The good news is you can get a really cheep one in the form of a Creative Labs Soundblaster live 5.1 for about 50 bucks new and a lot less second hand.

Is it top of the line...well no, will it do the job... yep is it cheep..yep !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/28/2005 1:59 am
You need a midi tone generator on your sound card or it is no sound from midi !! Sorry the news is not better !

The good news is you can get a really cheep one in the form of a Creative Labs Soundblaster live 5.1 for about 50 bucks new and a lot less second hand.

Is it top of the line...well no,
will it do the job... yep
is it cheep..yep !!

Or you can use a soft synth (many $$$$) or you can use an external midi device (like a drum machine or a tone generator) if you have some sort of midi port (usb midi ports start at about 30 bucks)

You should be able to here Wav files if you have a working sound card. If you can play like mp3s using other apps then it is just a matter of configuring Sonar to the card.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
07/29/2005 1:24 am
my dad actually has a device that i think would work...sucks becsaue hes a miser and i take his stuff to my place. he kindof has a 2-input MIDI processor, not real big or anything. i think thats how he runs the show. but i really wasnt sure, so i thought id ask. im saving up for my cab first, but ill look into a MIDI card afterwards.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4
quickfingers
quickfingers
07/29/2005 1:25 am
could i find that at a music store, or a computer store? which would be better to look?
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
08/17/2005 5:10 am
I bought a creative soundblaster 5.1 soundcard at wal-mart for 29.99
It does the trick
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.