funk bass

rockonn91
rockonn91
07/25/2005 9:55 pm
yeah, this may be off topic but this is for any bass players-

what do you use to play funk bass? ive been trying to get that sound but never can pull it off....
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/25/2005 11:00 pm
Funk is a lot more about feel than it is about what you're using in terms of equipment or technique, hence expressions such as "some got [da Funk] and some don't" and "if you have to ask, you'll never know."

I wish I could be a little more helpful, but it's a very tough thing to explain.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
rockonn91
rockonn91
07/26/2005 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovFunk is a lot more about feel than it is about what you're using in terms of equipment or technique, hence expressions such as "some got [da Funk] and some don't" and "if you have to ask, you'll never know."

I wish I could be a little more helpful, but it's a very tough thing to explain.

yeah i know what you mean but what im searching for is something that gives me that slap bass sorta sound...
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/27/2005 3:08 am
I can't help you with how to slap, but I can imagine you'll find a plethora of lessons on the internet by searching on google.

For funk bass try this - always try to hit the root or the fifth on the first beat. Now, playing in a syncopated manner, use other notes in your bass line (the 5th, b7, and the octave are common staples for funk bass lines).

Another tip - leave a lot of space. The bass in funk is just another instrument in the groove, so it should really blend in and not become overwhelming.

"Chameleon" by Herbie Hancock is thought by some as the quintessential funk bass line. Pick up a copy!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/27/2005 11:45 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91yeah i know what you mean but what im searching for is something that gives me that slap bass sorta sound...

Well, for my tone, I got for a fair amount of mids and highs then I bring my bass up enough to fill out the sound, but not so much that it starts to get boomy.

Generally, as I'm setting my EQ, I slap the E string. I'm listening for a defined, punchy tone. As I start to think I've got what I'm looking for, I'll start some simple popping on the D and G strings to make sure everything is balanced.

When I've got everything where I want it, I usually have a tone I describe as "glassy." It usually will also do anything else I ask of it (not just slapping and popping).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.