View post (Offensive language)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/19/2005 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: t_shirtsnjeansGo ahead and use profanity, it'll make you like look like the idiot like that uses other like useless like words.

Unlike inexplicably inserting "like" after every word of a sentence, "profane" words can modify, express various emotions (as opposed to merely hesitation and uncertainty), and add an element of humour. If I say "Aw jeez, it's raining again." I sound dissapointed. If I say "It's raining again. F***." It gives the reader a sense of utter contempt, dejection, and bitterness, all with one word. A combination of syllables means nothing, words cannot hurt anyone. It is HOW these words are used that can hurt people. If I say to my dog "Kill!" and it has been trained to respond to that word in a violent manner, it will. If it has been trained to respond to the word "pillow" in a violent manner, it will. Were I to scream profanity at a person in an angry tone "ahhh **** you, you ****ing dumbass! Don't you know where your god damn going, you piece of ****!!!?" Obviously that would be inappropriate. If my friend said to me "Dude, I totally found a twenty-dollar bill" and I responded with "Oh **** YOU!" It wouldn't be at all out of line. Even if my language WEREN'T profane, for example, "What are you, retarded?" "Move it, jackass!" or "Women can't drive, and black people are cretins whose only strength lies in armed robbery," my words could be hurtful, not because each word individually aims to offend, but because the concept as a whole, when uttered to the right people, will shock the hearers and damage their self-esteem. In the same way, if I said "****" entirely without context, it would be nigh on meaningless. However, if I said "**** you, I hate you. You disgust me you ****ing milquetoast prick." THAT is insulting. Hurtful and offensive language doesn't lie in the words you say, it's found in your context and aim to insult.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...