View post (harmonics)

View thread

J.Hammett
J.Hammett
07/14/2005 2:36 am
I think that the previous post did a good job at explaining the harmonics but now I'm confused. I always thought that artificial and pinch harmonics were the same. I have an old tab book that explains what a pinch harmonic is and one that's a little more recent that has the same description but for an artificial harmonic. So I read the artificial harmonic weblink thing and it sounds like an "artificial harmonic" is what's called tapping. Where you fret a note and tap the string an octave away(although it doesn't have to be.you can get them everywhere like five, seven, nine,.... frets away from where you're fretting). And I'm not talking about the tapping like what Van Halen does at the end of eruption. Those are called right-hand hammer ons. One tip when you bar dive. You don't want to just dive the note. The best way to do it is to whip your hand down the neck and pull off then dive the strings. You'll also find that it works best on the thicker strings(low e and g strings). You can also dive a note and have harmonics come out when you return to the zero point by diving the note and right before you return have a fretting finger do a natural harmonic somewhere like at the fifth fret or something. That's something I played with and I thought I invented it but I watched a video and it seems Van Halen's already done it. :(