Country/Rap

fingertricks
fingertricks
07/08/2005 3:36 am
What does everybody think about country and rap merging together? I have seen a couple of music videos like this and to me it seems like a desperate attempt to try and recreate something in music history as Aerosmith and Run DMC did. I don’t have a problem with the two working together but it seems like no one has got it right! It makes me laugh, I’ll give some credit. I don’t know...I was just wondering what everyone thought about it or if anyone liked it. I’m not a big fan of country or rap these days but I do like some.
# 1
Kataklizym
Kataklizym
07/08/2005 4:40 am
I'm not a big fan of country music although there are some artists I do like and I no longer like rap music.I liked it back in the day before the "bling bling" era of today where ignorance and sex corrupted the genre.I don't think much of the fusion myself but i thought that the two forms (country and rap) had already combined I think it's called "Square Dancing"? No,but seriously in this day and age it seems a whole lot of genres are splicing together (country/rap,rap/rock,goth/punk,industrial/metal,etc) I guess it all depends on your tastes but as of right now I don't much like any of the fusions of any genre, I think metal should stay metal,punk should stay punk,goth should stay goth and so forth. I believe when you have a song true to its genre then you can bring out the very best of what that particular genre is whether it's punks aggressiveness,metal's attitude or rap's street sense.I think if you try to "fuse" two different styles then your ulitimately taking away a very important dynamic of one style and weakening it by compromising it to allow another style (that you had to also change it's overall dynamics) to fit in it's place. Very few people/bands ever get it right but then therein seems to lie the problem.Once you create a blueprint of fusion that works your sorta locked into it and can never stray too far from the concept because then the song becomes either one style or the other and each new song tends to sound like the last song ie Linkin Park.I thought originally Linkin did a outstanding job of mixing the styles but ultimately they fell into the trap I mentioned,every one of their songs is the same,one guy raps to the drummer and DJ,one guy sings and then screams and then here comes the guitar.......again.Another cool example was when the X-ecutioners,Static X and the guy that raps from Linkin Park did the song "It's Going Down" as cool as the song was it's also another example of how one dynamic was lost in the mix,the guitar was simple and straight forward,same riff over and over,while the one guy rapped and the DJ's D-Jayed.I still think the best songs ever combining rap and rock were Aerosmith and Run DMC's "Walk This Way" and Ice Cube and Korn's "Don Mega" both songs showed that the very best of both genres dynamics can coexist on the same plane without one sacrificing for the sake of the other's.But we'll see maybe we'll get lucky and someone will get it right and spawn a new musical genre sort of like Ray Charles did when he combined the Blues with Gospel music and they called it R&B.
# 2
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/08/2005 12:58 pm
Nothing can be worse than southern rock and funk merging.

# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/08/2005 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyNothing can be worse than southern rock and funk merging.

How about gospel and black metal?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/08/2005 4:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsHow about gospel and black metal?

Now that would be AWESOME!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
07/09/2005 12:44 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsHow about gospel and black metal?

They have it, its not that bad actually, just all about god.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
07/09/2005 1:00 am
Anyone else heard of "Hick Hop"?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/09/2005 11:54 am
Originally Posted by: HammurabiAnyone else heard of "Hick Hop"?

Dude, that's even better than mine.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.