View post (Customizing a guitar)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
07/05/2005 7:51 pm
First things first... You should familiarize yourself with the guitar. Know the names of all the parts, the specific specs of it, and how they work mechanically. If you can understand how a guitar truely works it's easy to alter it. You can pick up a book at www.stew-mac.com any guitar building books on there are excellent... I recommend Dan Erlewines "Guitar Players Repair Guide".... the guy is a genious and he knows a ton when it comes to luthiery. In any of the books they will show you how to go about doing any customization you want to do. You can get more specialized books that will just talk about wiring or just talk about building pickups or just talk about building good bodies and necks... Just get what will work best for you. When you are thinking about what you want to do to your guitar just be creative and think logically. You want the guitar to maintain it's functionality and quality. If you're looking to customize a guitar with little money... I would suggest saving up some money. I only use the best components because I want my job to be quality... some food for thought