Best value for Wah Pedals

ScottMoney
ScottMoney
06/30/2005 7:43 am
I'm hoping to get a good wah pedal for under $100. Do you experts out there have an opinion on this? I would be willing to go as high as $180 maybe if it were really worth it.
# 1
ren
ren
06/30/2005 8:02 am
Depends how you're going to use it... and what you'll spend.

I use a Dunlop 535Q and a Morley Bad Horsie. The Morley is good, as it's switchless, so on bypass as soon as you take your foot off it, rather than having to rock it forward to switch it off like the dunlops. However, the sound is very modern, so it works for hi-gain, but I find it a bit too much for blues.

The dunlop is excellent, and has a vintage voice. The 535 is adjustable, so you can tweak it to your ear, and style of play. I used to have a crybaby wah, which is non-adjustable but again has a nice voice to it. The crybaby is the cheapest by some distance.

Best bet as ever is to go into a shop and check them all out, and then look on the 'net, or ebay to get the best price. I managed to get my Bad Hosrie off ebay for what works out to be about $90....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
aschleman
aschleman
06/30/2005 12:20 pm
It depends on the type of music that you want to play with it I guess. If you want a good wah for metal check out the DIME Crybaby From Hell or the Zakk Wylde Crybaby. I have a ZWCB and it screams. They're basically Jimi Hendrix wahs that are slightly modified with a few gizmos to give it a ton more edge. On that note, the Jimi Hendrix Wah from Dunlop would be great for mellow stuff. The Morley wahs look pretty sweet... I almost bought a Tremonti... but I opted for the ZW. I haven't really played them other than a few times in stores. A couple other ones that I've wanted to check out are the Ibanez Weeping Demon, the DigiTech Wammy, and the DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Wah. Those are just some suggestions for ya. So here's a breakdown:

Metal/Hardrock: Tremonti Wah, Zakk Wylde, Crybaby From Hell, Bad Horsie
Alternative: Crybaby, Tremonti, Bad Horsie
Blues: Digitech Hendrix Experience, Jimi Hendrix, Bad Horsie
# 3
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
06/30/2005 9:41 pm
I don't really play any metal. I play almost all blues/classic rock. I like what i hear about the crybabies but I would prefer to be able to adjust the wah. Is there anything in particular I should steer clear of?
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
07/01/2005 1:49 pm
I would try to steer clear of any wahs that are going to color the sound of the guitar.Since you play a lot of bluesy stuff, you don't want to push your tones too far over the edge. Go to a guitar store and play as many different models that you want. Try to find a guitar with similar pickups (or take your own...) and try to find an amp that is similar to yours so that you can closely emulate how it would sound in your effects chain. Set the amp that you are going to play through to a clean setting so you can tell if the wah will color the sound. Then start playing wahs. Once you find one that you think you would like... start playing it with everything set-up closly to how your set-up at home is. I would recommend checking out the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah. It doesn't have the adjustability that you want... but it gets the job done.... JIMI style.
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/01/2005 9:02 pm
Personally, my favorite guitar wah is the Vox but you will be best off trying out as many different kinds as you can and buying what works best for you.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.