Question about moveable chordes

fingertricks
fingertricks
06/22/2005 8:12 pm
I’m trying to learn why and what makes up a chord and I’m still lost on some of it. I know that 1, 3, and 5 of notes in a scale make up a chord. I was reading about moveable chords and the book said if you move it up it forms a sharp or a new chord. For example, the D chord ( xx0232 ) can be moved down one fret and form a D# or an Eb. But the book also said not to sound the open stings because it will not necessarily give you the appropriate notes for the chord. In that case, if I was to move the D chord up two frets to form an E chord ( xxx454 ) wouldn’t that be consider a B (min, m, dim, etc??) chord because the root note is note a d note anymore or an e note but a b note because the open string that was once struck with the d chord is now gone because of the new position of two frets up? Please help! :confused:
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2005 11:22 pm
try some of these tutorials dude:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8078&s_id=78

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8505&s_id=79

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8283&s_id=76
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
06/23/2005 12:16 am
DAmn you Doc Simon....
you are filling up my favourites guitar folder

:p ...thanks mate.

Cheers,
Mag
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 3
fingertricks
fingertricks
06/23/2005 5:19 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt's still an E chord because the note of E still exists; it's on the second string (the B string.) The root note doesn't always need to be the deepest note.

Oh...I thought in order to tell if it was a certain type of chord you had to have it as the lowest note. Then how would know if a C chord is a C chord if it has a g note in it, couldn't that be the root note instead? Well I suppose not...because a g note does not have the same notes required to make up a chord as does a c (answered my own question :rolleyes: ).

I have one more question about chord. Barred or not, if they are all moved up or down the fret boared will they form new chord or is it certain ones that will do that? Thank you for the help everyone, you guys are awsome :cool:, I don't think anyone uses the word awsome anymore. I guess I'm a dork.
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
06/23/2005 9:40 pm
Originally Posted by: fingertricksI’m trying to learn why and what makes up a chord and I’m still lost on some of it. I know that 1, 3, and 5 of notes in a scale make up a chord. I was reading about moveable chords and the book said if you move it up it forms a sharp or a new chord. For example, the D chord ( xx0232 ) can be moved down one fret and form a D# or an Eb. But the book also said not to sound the open stings because it will not necessarily give you the appropriate notes for the chord. In that case, if I was to move the D chord up two frets to form an E chord ( xxx454 ) wouldn’t that be consider a B (min, m, dim, etc??) chord because the root note is note a d note anymore or an e note but a b note because the open string that was once struck with the d chord is now gone because of the new position of two frets up? Please help! :confused:

The root isn't always the lowest note.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
weemikey
weemikey
07/21/2005 7:33 pm
I do a lot of counting on my fingers to figure out chords. It's good to learn the 1-7 counting concept. Like A is the 4th of E and B is the 5th of E etc. The tutorials are a great help, but just a basic understanding of what a chord IS makes all the difference.

You mentioned the 1, 3 and 5. That makes a MAJOR chord. Move the 3 down a single fret and you have a MINOR chord (which is just the 1, a "Flat" third and the 5). Guess what happens when you replace the 5 with the 7? A SEVENTH chord! It takes a bit of thought, but you'll get it.
# 6
ren
ren
07/22/2005 7:33 am
Originally Posted by: weemikeyI do a lot of counting on my fingers to figure out chords. It's good to learn the 1-7 counting concept. Like A is the 4th of E and B is the 5th of E etc. The tutorials are a great help, but just a basic understanding of what a chord IS makes all the difference.

You mentioned the 1, 3 and 5. That makes a MAJOR chord. Move the 3 down a single fret and you have a MINOR chord (which is just the 1, a "Flat" third and the 5). Guess what happens when you replace the 5 with the 7? A SEVENTH chord! It takes a bit of thought, but you'll get it.

Try searching on 'diatonic chord structures' for this sort of stuff - there's loads out there, and it'll help you understand the structure of the chords, as well as progressions and to an extent the modes (at least how they fit in).

Also, a seventh chord is created by fretting the seventh as well as the fifth, not instead of.... it's a four note chord instead of a triad...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/22/2005 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp
Also, a seventh chord is created by fretting the seventh as well as the fifth, not instead of.... it's a four note chord instead of a triad...

He's actually got a point. The 5th of a seventh chord is usually the first to be left out. So it's 1, 3, 7. You'll see this alot in jazz and classical music. If it is found, it's usually the highest tone or it's altered. Like a dom7#5, or dom7b5. In classical music the 5th is always left out (except a few circumstances). It's just what us theory buffs call voice-leading. ;)
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 8
ren
ren
07/22/2005 1:07 pm
OK.... I've never encountered a seventh chord with the fifth dropped, although I am familar with flattening / double flat etc. I'll take your word for it...

I was taught that seventh chords are constructed by building in thirds, and stacking four gets you the seventh... ?

Editted repeatedly as a result of sausage fingers Vs keyboard...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/22/2005 2:21 pm
Yeah, your right that is how you construct a seventh chord. You'll usually find the 5th dropped in a V7-I cadence. The 5th in a seventh chord (particularly dom7th) is the one tone you can leave out, and still have the chord function the same way. The two important tones in a seventh chord are the 3rd and the 7th, while the root which tells you how it will function. The 5th doesn't really do anything for the sound of the chord either, unless it's altered. It's always better to use fewer notes in a chord to achieve the sound you want. The more notes, the more cloudy it sounds. You can still play the 5th, but you should ask yourself do you really need to?
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 10
weemikey
weemikey
07/22/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: noticingthemistakeHe's actually got a point. The 5th of a seventh chord is usually the first to be left out. So it's 1, 3, 7. You'll see this alot in jazz and classical music.

Yeah! Exactly! I'm such an expert on all things theory-related that I didn't mention that. :D

I have no idea what I'm talking about, actually. There's always a few ways to look at the same thing. I am learning jazz, so I'm learning lots of 3-note chords, upside down chords, backwards chords (some of you MIGHT call these inversions/substitutions).... you get the idea! :cool:
# 11
fingertricks
fingertricks
07/25/2005 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: weemikey

I have no idea what I'm talking about, actually.

It's ok, it's the thought that counts! ;)
# 12
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
07/28/2005 8:56 pm
Try to think of it this way, when you form an E on the first and second frets- The Nut ( the white plastic peice ) at the end of the guitar is acting as a Barre.
You can slide this chord and most chords providng you keep all the strings relative to each other by barre -ing - one fret at a time it will become - F - F# - G - G# - etc
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 13
GuitarThumper
GuitarThumper
07/30/2005 5:41 am
Download "GT's Musician's Toolbox" for free. In it you will find the book "Diatonically Speaking" A Berklee approach that works. go to www.guitarthumper.com
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.