different tunings, best approach?

GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
06/21/2005 6:16 pm
Ok, I got this nice 6-string axe and I like to play all sorts of styles in all sorts of tunings, but unfortunately my axe is an Ibanez RG370DX with a double locking system which doesn't allow me to tune my guitar fast to a different tuning, (someone said that I'd have to change the three springs, don't know how to call them, and that it would take hours)

I'm planning on trading this guitar for one with a fixed bridge

so what do I have to change in order to easily change my tuning? buy a 7-string set and put it on my 6-string without the high-'E'? or alter the height of my bridge? because when I alter the height of my bridge, the height of the strings is pretty high when I tune the guitar back to 'E' again..

hope someone can clear this out for me, cause it's been bugging me since months
= good music is good drinking =
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/21/2005 6:46 pm
1st off I'd keep that guitar if at all possible. It's nice to have both, for their own purposes. Of course you can reset the tension on yer whammy for the lower stuff, if your gonna play that the majority of the time. I don't know why you'd have to replace the springs? But anyways...consider a string set that's heavy bottom, light treble. Ernie Ball makes a custom set like this.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
06/22/2005 12:53 pm
replacing stringset cause a 6-stringset is too loose and the sound is really ugly when you put it in C for instance, allthough putting a B-string in E ain't healthy either, if I had the money I'd buy an Ibanez K-7 and JS1000, though I'm not that rich :p
= good music is good drinking =
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/22/2005 6:10 pm
Since that guitar has a floating trem, there is no way to quickly tune to different tunings. The only thing you could buy to make it quick is another guitar. :D

Buying a guitar with a fixed bridge will make it possible to tune to different tunings quicker, but, it's not good for the neck. When you tune standard, the guitar needs to be setup for standard (truss rod adjustment, intonation, etc....) and if a guitar is set-up for standard and you say, tune down a step, the tension of the strings will be different so the truss rod will need adjusting again. That's why your strings are higher off the fretboard when you tune back up to E, the neck had adjusted to the strings having less tension.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/27/2005 11:27 am
Hey man, I have two guitars which I have tuned down really low, one in drop b(dropped d, then everything down one and a half steps) and the other just have everything down one and a half steps...the one guitar in B is a Baritone, so that works well, if you can try and get an Ibanez MMM1, I love mine,its amazing!
Then the other guitar is a Cort s2550, with a floating Wilkinson trem. For that guitar, I had to put another spring on the trem unit, so as to stop the heavy gauge strings from pulling the bridge up to a 90degree angle with the body...that is relatively simple...just add a spring, then tighten the two internal screws that pull those springs, untill the bridge is at a comfortable angle...this process is quick...about an hour or so, but it needs to be refined after tuning your guitar....then just stick on some heavy strings...dont worry about a 7string set, just get some 12's, they are heavy enough, I use Zakk Wylde signiture Ghs Boomers on my Cort...they are 10-60's, so really nice for the high strings, and heavy as **** on the bottom!
But, it isnt good for your guitars neck to downtune hectically, then put it back into E, I would leave it downtuned to c-sharp...good luck man...ideally you would want atleast two guitars if you want to play in a variety of tunings....I spend almost all my cash on guitars...and I am now getting to the point where I have more that I have one guitar in every tuning in which I play....so does anyone have any suggestions for weird tunings? maybe some open chord tunings...as I am starting to mess about with a slide, but of course it sounds pants at the moment! any weird tuning ideas? for metal/industrial vibed stuff
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.