Fresh off my first sit-in...

Irön Waynö
Irön Waynö
04/25/2001 4:25 am
The 67th Army Band of the Wyoming National Guard dropped in on my band class today and invited a few of the percussionists to a rehearsal they were having that night. I said, "sure, what the hell?"

We went in and I was expecting a concert style band (y'know, saxes, clarinets, flutes, all that good stuff) but, to my surprise, they were a 4 piece (two guitars, bass, and drums) rock 'n' roll cover band that played everything from Hank Williams to Kid Rock. I sat in and played a little bass (yeah, I know, this a guitar forum, but that's what I played) on a few songs and actually didn't do that bad having only played the instrument 11 months.

I got my first experience of playing with a band and learned among other things, two very important details:

1) I definitely want to pursue music as a career.

2) My improvisation skills suck!
"When I was just a young boy, I had to take a little grief. Now that I'm much older, don't put your sh*t on me..." - Mötley Crüe
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2001 10:37 pm
Well, first off I'm a full time bassist and I have yet to see a single complaint (like that would actually phaze me). Second, sit ins are great for your musicianship in general. I play open mics all the time and I've learned that being a quick learner is not only fun (because you get to play a lot more), but also is something that gets around- and people start calling you up to ask if you can fill in on such and such a day for their usual guy. Most of all, the more you sit in, the more you become adept at learning things on the fly... learning how to "jam."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.