defining the tones of scheme...

redspecial
redspecial
06/19/2005 12:24 pm
http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/diagrams/SquierStandardFatStrA8C.pdf

ok its the scheme, so what the heck is 5 way switch options?
what are they, serial, paralel, out or in phase?

can anybody xplain please... :)
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
06/22/2005 6:24 pm
I think the 5 way switch is how the pups are selected. I may have mis-understood your question though.

Position 1 (all the way down): Bridge pup
Position 2: Bridge and middle pup's
Position 3: middle pup
Position 4: middle and neck pup's
position 5: neck pup
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
redspecial
redspecial
06/23/2005 2:50 pm
thanx!!! :D
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
06/23/2005 4:39 pm
That's the standard wiring for a 5-way... however, if you are comfortable with modifying wiring you can make any combination that you want... Here's the hot-rodded design I put into my strat with the use of a Switchcraft 5-way Super Switch:

Pos 1: Bridge+Middle (switch in down position)
Pos 2: Bridge+Neck
Pos 3: Bridge+Middle+Neck
Pos 4: Middle+Neck
Pos 5: Neck

I have hum cancelling in 4 positions and I also have a push/pull pot to activate/deactivate the middle pickup so I can go in and out of phase in positions 1 and 4. Essentially gives me 7 tones instead of 5...
# 4
redspecial
redspecial
06/23/2005 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThat's the standard wiring for a 5-way... however, if you are comfortable with modifying wiring you can make any combination that you want... Here's the hot-rodded design I put into my strat with the use of a Switchcraft 5-way Super Switch:

Pos 1: Bridge+Middle (switch in down position)
Pos 2: Bridge+Neck
Pos 3: Bridge+Middle+Neck
Pos 4: Middle+Neck
Pos 5: Neck

I have hum cancelling in 4 positions and I also have a push/pull pot to activate/deactivate the middle pickup so I can go in and out of phase in positions 1 and 4. Essentially gives me 7 tones instead of 5...

my mod already take too much time. so i wanna set things and finish as soon as possible. i have no any hum even the stock coil wiring, because of the shielded pickup cavities. i have an extra "humbucker series/split" switch for strat quack. what about your combination's tone caharacteristics? there's lotta "bridge + smthin" option. looks like generally cool "teleish" tones... :)

so can u gimme it's scheme with same style switch?
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
06/23/2005 6:21 pm
I can understand the time issue! haha.

I use the bridge in conjunction with my middle pickup most of the time. In a rare case I will pull out the volume pot and get the bridge pickups by itself. But normally I play with either the bridge pickup and middle activated for my leads. It gets a nice humbucker sound sounds sweet with some overdrive... or the neck and middle for my rythms. Gives incredible warmth and also sounds neat with overdrive... I can get some neat tones with the other selections though. I like switching from the B/M/N position to the B/N position to kind of drop the middle out. It gives a nice effect. The B/M/N covers a great tonal range and if it's overdriven it will fill the rythm section of a song with tone. Like I said the B/M and M/N are my two most common postions. I did all the wiring a while back... and I would have to dig up the schematics for it. I can try to draw it out from memory but I'm almost certain I wouldn't get it 100% right. I forgot to mention that I also re-wired the tone knobs. Instead of the tone knobs controlling the bridge and middle pickups independently... they now control the bridge and neck pickups independently. I play with the neck tone knob at 1 and the bridge tone knob at 10. If I kick in some chorus with the B/M/N switching it sounds pretty cool... almost like they're are three guitars playing. It took some time to hammer out... but I designed to work well with my specific style of playing.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.