View post (demos)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2005 7:36 am
Don't take it so personally man.
We're all smiles here and just stating our opinions so just state your case and everything's kewl.

All I'm saying, as a guy who's personally both sent and received demo's for about 25 years now, is that you can't judge a band based on just 10 seconds of a demo. And yeah, I do pay someone to listen to full demos. I insist on it because I know that even a rough recording or a badly started song can suddenly turn into magic once you get used to listening to it. Sometimes it takes more than one listen. Sometimes the band is average but the vocalist blows you away. Sometimes you're just not in the right mood to listen.

The rest of your advice is fine. It's basically common knowledge in the industry when sending out demos to follow certain rules.
Unfortunately, the way you've presented them sounds very condescending to seasoned musicians. Referring to people as "wannabes" or saying "we DON"T even review the application. we just throw it away" or "keep the musician arrogance to a minimun" isn't the kind of attitude people are going to respond positively to. As somebody who's in the business full time, I wouldn't deal with any 'professional' who treated other musicians like that.
No matter how inexperienced a band or musician is, they still deserve to be treated with respect.