View post (demos)

View thread

ake
ake
06/18/2005 10:06 pm
At the risk of sounding like a geezer; here is my experience with the recording/festival/demo biz.

I work for a Blues festival promoter from Texas. We review thousands of Bands/solo acts/wannabes that want to participate in the festival. Applicants send us a demo CD [no tapes please]. Here is what we look for in an applicant and their accompaning application.

1. Presentation. Neatness counts. Quality photos for advertising purposes.
Important!! Self addresed/stamped return envelope for return of your photos and CD. If this is not included we DON"T even review the application. we just throw it away. If you don't even care enough to want your stuff back just how professional can you be?

2. CDs I read on another thread that quality dosen't matter. The reviewers can tell if you got chops. BSBSBSBS. when you review thousands of CDs you only listen to the first 10 maybe 15 seconds. If this first 15 seconds dosen't grab you; its back into the return envelope with the "Thanks but no thanks" letter. Put your strongest stuff on first!! Quality recording is imp. If it sounds bad you dont even get 10 seconds.

3. If you have a press release send it.

4. If you get accepted. SHOW UP!! aND DON'T SHOW UP BAKED!! Be professional, and keep the musician arrogance to a minimun.

5. This company also has a small but popular recording label. All of the above applies to getting signed.

6. If rejected, keep trying & polish your presentation. Apply to every venue that you hear about. It's simple but its not easy. GOOD LUCK!!! Peace
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix