Shenandoah River

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
06/14/2005 10:48 pm
Okay, I have a little rant, because i'm ticked off.
I live by the Shenandoah River (well not exactly by it, but about 3 minutes away). So today I was like, hmm, I'm going to go swim in the river. Well, all river property is private pretty much. Except Watermelon Park, which cost 10 dollars just to hang out there for a while. Or if your feeling daring go under the bridge at the place where they put boats in. I never go there for fear of stepping on stuff people litter. So I figure, well I'll just park in the grass, and hope not to bother anyone. Well, lucky me these out of town people come, and tell me pretty much to leave. "Your presence would disturb us." I just get my stuff and leave. Its not like I was drinking beer and doing drugs, and carrying on (not to say I haven't done that by the river before). I was just swimming, and hoping not to get bit by a snake or step on a fish hook or anything sharp.

It just seems really ridiculous that being a local kid, that I can't even swim in the river without a 10 dollar fee, or risk having the police called on me for trespassing. I mean at the ocean, atleast you can go to a public access or whatever. I don't even know if you can buy a beach lot that exclusively belongs to you. Basically as joni mitchell put it with the "tree museum" line.

All I can say is stupid white man, and his view of property. If only we had the philosophy to some extent of the Native Americans. Atleast then, me and friends could go down to river and enjoy ourselves.

Peace,

Holly

# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2005 11:07 pm
That sucks !!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/15/2005 4:41 am
Iholly, I completely agree with you. I also notice you're into Taoism (dow-ism for all you non-hip folk). That's very cool and wonderful set of principles to live by. Might I suggest reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, I believe it would be right up your alley.

Sorry about you not getting to swim, that sucks.

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
only after the last river has been poisoned,
only after the last fish has been caught,
only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 3
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
06/15/2005 11:10 am
wot's taoism or dow-ism? never heard o that!
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.