jay turser?

rockonn91
rockonn91
06/13/2005 12:57 am
hey ive been checking out this SG Style Jay Turser guitar

i thought it looked pretty sweet (with the gold and all :cool: haha)

so i was wondering do they sound good? it says the humbuckers on it sound exactly like the Gibson 490 sieries for the SG but i doubt it.

so basically, are Jay Turser's any good? any help would be appreciated.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/13/2005 1:17 am
I've never played their guitars but a friend of mine had one of the four string Musicman Stringray knockoffs.

For what it was, it wasn't too bad. It played well, had a nice, punchy natural tone. If money hadn't been as tight for me as it was when he sold it, I likely would have picked up as a beater bass.

Here's my advice:

If you're looking for a main axe, save your money for something better (especially if you're already playing something half-decent).

However, if you're looking for an el-cheapo second guitar that sounds OK and you can beat the living snot out of, go ahead.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
06/13/2005 2:06 am
a buddy of mine has a 4-string precision knock off jay turser and he's had it for about 4 years now. He got it for $200...he still plays it alot and is his main bass....next to an Original '78 Fender Fretless Precision...so that's saying alot I think.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/13/2005 3:31 am
Originally Posted by: Tele Masternext to an Original '78 Fender Fretless Precision...so that's saying alot I think.

No... it isn't.

The late '70s are easily Fender's worst years in terms of quality (not that a few good ones here and there didn't pop out of their assembly line in those years). They also tend to be so heavy, you feel like you're playing with a Twin Reverb strapped to your neck.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
06/13/2005 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovNo... it isn't.

The late '70s are easily Fender's worst years in terms of quality (not that a few good ones here and there didn't pop out of their assembly line in those years). They also tend to be so heavy, you feel like you're playing with a Twin Reverb strapped to your neck.

As a fender man myself i agree...this is true...the they had bad issues with the 3 bolt neck....bruteal thank god CBS sold fender!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
06/13/2005 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovI've never played their guitars but a friend of mine had one of the four string Musicman Stringray knockoffs.

For what it was, it wasn't too bad. It played well, had a nice, punchy natural tone. If money hadn't been as tight for me as it was when he sold it, I likely would have picked up as a beater bass.

Here's my advice:

If you're looking for a main axe, save your money for something better (especially if you're already playing something half-decent).

However, if you're looking for an el-cheapo second guitar that sounds OK and you can beat the living snot out of, go ahead.

well, that was a bass... haha im wondering about an electric here...

anyways, yeah this would be a second. i just wanted something with humbuckers (in addition to my fender standard strat) and im just 14, so i dont have a great deal of money. but i need one that wont short out after a couple months...
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.