The future of Napster??

PeptoB
PeptoB
04/22/2001 3:19 pm
Maybe it's just me but I'm quite disturbed by the fact that more and more songs are blocked on the napster due to the copyright and all that. Just the other day I was tryin to learn some tunes from Metallica and, following my usual approach to learning licks and solos, I went to napster to download the song and what do you know, instantly my search was blocked. what do you guys think about this whole issue of banning napster? Am I the only guitarist that's being benefitted from this peer-to-peer technology??
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/22/2001 5:31 pm
As far as I'm concerned Napster brought all of this upon themselfs.

• Big Mistake #1: They had an opportunity to get a licencing deal from all of the major copyright holders but they decided to pass.

• Big Mistake #2: They take control out of artists hands. You can go to my band's web page right now and download 2 songs from our demo, but I think that should be up to myself and my band, NOT every little person out there with an MP3 encoder. For this reson they'll never be able to really enough artists behind them to give them the support they need.

• Big Mistake #3: They are an illegal service. If they were really smart they would have moved to some carribian island with no regulatory laws and set up shop there.

Finally, there are (and have been) much better services out there. So you can still get the mp3's (and videos, and other content) you want from a speedier service where people can't sign off on you, and know it's perfectly legal (because they are licenced by the Copyright Holders).

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 04-22-2001 at 01:34 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/22/2001 10:52 pm
What helps is to look on people's music lists to see if they got what you need and puposely mispelling the bands name will get around their blocks. They block the direct name like "jimi hendrix" but if you enter "Jimmy Hendrix" the results will be infinite. All true ras, they could've avoided all of this if they really wanted to.
"Take my hand boss"
# 3
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/23/2001 10:12 pm
ya jsut the coup[le days ago i wanted incubus and i couldnt get anything, haha but then i tried incubis =)
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.