Parents a gig

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
06/09/2005 3:12 am
Ok,Ive just started doing shows now and my second one is coming up, im 17 and my mom wants to go to our show but i just would feel more comfortable if she didnt, she didnt go to my last one because it was hard enough being my first gig not to mention family being there. But now my mom's really pissed that i dont want her to go to it, i just for some reason dont feel comfortable, is that normal? SO now she is making me look like the bad guy because i would rather play my first few shows without family being there :mad: !!!! Tell me what you think
Mike ;)
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/09/2005 5:04 am
I've been there too, and I think it's pretty normal.

That said, you should probably suck it up and let her go.

For one thing, parents LOVE seeing their kids doing that sort of thing, and for another, it's the only way you're going to get through that nervousness.

In the end, it's more important that your mom has proud memories of seeing her son play than it is if you're comfortable or not at this show.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2005 5:45 am
heh.. we used to practice in the basement so I think my parents had enough of us without going to see us live.
I was more bothered by my girlfriend always wanting to be there. All them groupies and no way to get to em. :cool:

Just suck it up and let em go. If it's anything like most parents, they'll go for half an hour and then leave and never go back again.
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/09/2005 6:48 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeI was more bothered by my girlfriend always wanting to be there.

Ugh...

My ex wanted to be into EVERYTHING when my band played. I couldn't for the life of me get her to understand why things couldn't go in the van in any old order or that I needed at least SOME space apart from her...

I'm going to leave this thread now before it becomes a rant.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/09/2005 1:26 pm
Suck it up and let her come watch you! She deserves to be there, and you owe it to her to be happy to let her come watch you.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/09/2005 11:03 pm
I'm sure from her angle you are the bad guy. I'm making no accusations here, but your mom wants to see you do what you like to do. In a sense it's like painting a portrait that ends up in a museum but you don't want your parents to go and see it on the wall. I place my vote with the others, you might feel awkward because you know someone that's seeing you or whatever, but just don't forget where your real concentration should be. Your performace. If you think about who's watching you more than what chord comes next then you're kind of apting yourself for a mistake or two. All I can say is it's not nearly as bad as you think.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
06/10/2005 7:18 pm
I'm going to have to be a crowd follower, and go along with everyone else. I mean your parents (or anyone) could be gone tomorrow, so sacrificing a little coolness for them won't kill you. Plus, I've gone to shows where guys have there parents there, and I never thought much about it. That might have been because I knew the guys' parents... but never the less let your mommy come see you play your wittle guitar. :cool:

# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/10/2005 7:21 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyI'm going to have to be a crowd follower, and go along with everyone else. I mean your parents (or anyone) could be gone tomorrow, so sacrificing a little coolness for them won't kill you. Plus, I've gone to shows where guys have there parents there, and I never thought much about it. That might have been because I knew the guys' parents... but never the less let your mommy come see you play your wittle guitar. :cool:

I lost my mother a little over 6 years ago... She never got the chance to see me play live :(
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/11/2005 12:53 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI lost my mother a little over 6 years ago... She never got the chance to see me play live :(

Don't go there dude. I lost mine nearly 10 years back.
Let's just say, don't go there.
Joni Mitchell new what she meant when she said "don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you got till it's gone".
I'm wondering what's the best example to give in expressing sentiments similar to yours, but there's TOO MUCH.
Like I said, better not to go there.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.