Right Hand Position

skyjf
skyjf
04/21/2001 5:55 pm
I was wonder where different people put thier right hand while playing.. I tend to have my right hand on my bridge on my fender strat. Is thier a right way to do this becuase I have never seen it discused.. Thanks, Sky
...But mine go to 11...
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
04/21/2001 11:48 pm
There is no "right way" to hold your right hand, do whatever feels best.
I also keep my hand either on the bridge or very close to it while muting the unplayed strings.

Greetz, TK
# 2
chrimsun
chrimsun
04/24/2001 4:32 pm
The most important thing is of course to keep it as relaxed as possible, wherever your 'homebase' position is.
Despite the pickups, there will be slight variations in the tone, depending on the right hand's horizontal position.
You may want to position it above the bridge pickup when it is activated, for example. Therefore I think it is best to feel comfortable playing with the right hand in different horizontal positions, as long as you don't change the tilt or swivel of your hand. It should be no different than the left hand in this regard-- your left hand orientation should not have to change when you move it up and down the neck. Also, many players, including me, like to (lightly)rest the pinky and maybe even the ring finger on the body, to prevent unneeded motion in the hand. Though most players don't ever go this far, your thumb and forefinger (which hold the pick) are really capable of doing all of the work, without your hand and arm shaking with each stroke-- though it takes lots of practice to master this.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.