Muting a note

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
05/31/2005 7:35 am
Is muting a note simply placing your finger on the string? because ive noticed different "chic" sounds by moving my finger down the fretboard, do tabs take advantage of this?
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/31/2005 7:47 am
> Is muting a note simply placing your finger on the string? because ive
> noticed different "chic" sounds by moving my finger down the fretboard,
> do tabs take advantage of this?

In it's most basic form, yeah. You can either use the right or left hand to mute notes and it's anything from slightly 'deadening' and sound to completely stopping a string from ringing on.

Tabs are pretty unreliable for reading music cause everybody who writes them has their own way of indicating certain ways to play.
Your best bet with tabs is to listen to the original sound file and use the tab as just a guide.
Sometimes a mute will be shown as an 'X'... either above, below or right on the diagram itself.
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2005 10:56 am
I think it is essential to listen to the music when working with tab, because you dont get the time values etc...unless it is a tab with actual notation above it, inwhich case its fine.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
06/01/2005 3:51 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI think it is essential to listen to the music when working with tab, because you dont get the time values etc...unless it is a tab with actual notation above it, inwhich case its fine.

The only songs that im going to attempt to play are songs that i have already heard from bands that i have listened to and ussually i can remember the song and can say "well theres supposed to be a note here" and can ussually correct the tab or find one that is more accurate. thax for the help guys.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.