Chord charts?!

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
05/31/2005 7:29 am
Ive seen chord charts where 2 fingers are placed on the same string, isnt this unecessary since the same note will come out anyways? i dont see why this is needed. Power chords are like the same thing too i guess, i just dont understand how 2 fingers on one string will make a difference. can somone please explain. :confused:
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2005 11:01 am
two fingers placed on the same string? the only way I can see that working is if you are ahmmerin on or pulling off, or if you are bending the string(two fingers arenet necessary here, just gets a much nicer more consistant bend).

What chords were the charts for? do you remember?
Maybe if you post the chord chart we could all have a look and see whats going on.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/31/2005 11:03 am
I just realised that in some chord charts, barre chords could show two fingers on the same string, but in all cases, only the note of the higher fretted fret will sound.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
06/01/2005 3:44 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI just realised that in some chord charts, barre chords could show two fingers on the same string, but in all cases, only the note of the higher fretted fret will sound.

Yeah, if only the note on the higher fret will sound then what is the point of it? :confused: Here is an example of a finger being placed on the same string 2 times, maybe they are just suggesting thats how u do it??? C minor is a good example>>> http://chordfind.com/guitar/x/full.gif And on a second note what are power chords cuz im a little confused on that also.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 4
Portis_26
Portis_26
06/01/2005 11:55 pm
the link didnt work for me, but i think your talking about barre chords. in a barre chord you have to lay your index finger across all the strings in the chord even if your playing higher notes on some strings. this is because its a lot easier that way instead of trying to keep your index finger touching only the strings it plays. i dont think that made any sense, but try doing the fingerings the way the charts show it, then try doing the fingerings with only one finger touching each string and you'll find its a lot easier the way the charts show it. i know basically nothing about theory, but power chords are basically a section of a chord, only the 1st and 3rd or 5th notes of the scale, i dont know which it is. power chords sound better on distorsion than full chords becuase theres less notes, the full chords w/ distorsion have too much sound and sounds muddy. and on a clean sound, full chords sound better than power chords.
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/02/2005 8:22 am
Generally, power chords contain the 1st and 5th(tho they can be other intervals). these 5power chords do work well with a heavyily driven sound. They also can be either major or minor, as they contain no 3rd, and the 3rd determines wether the chord is major or minor.
as for that link, no it didnt work for me either.

I am also pretty sure you are refferring to barre chords.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.