So I just bought a Gibson LP

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/26/2005 9:32 pm
So today I was in the ol' music store looking at the Tele I was planning on buying, along with the pickups and saddles and nut. While I was browsing around I noticed a rather striking Tobacco Burst Les Paul Classic.....Soooo...I bought it...it's amazing, great colour (looks exactly like Slash's guitar in November Rain)....yup...the Tele can wait (i already have one) and I doubt there will be another time in the next 10-15 years that I will have the money...
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/26/2005 10:03 pm
The classics are nice guitars...I think they are nicer than the Standards in many ways...the only thing I am not so keen on is the aged inlays...
But what an axe...everyine should own atleast one Les Paul...thats my belief!

Strangely, when I bought my Gibbo, it was also at a time when I was saving to buy a tele, also cahnged my mind only when I had raised all the funds...happy I did it, but I have bought 2guitars since then, and not one tele, I must buy one one day...actually...Holy****! I juts realised that I have never owned a Fender...I need a Fender Now!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/26/2005 10:06 pm
HAHA...ya I'm going to buy another Tele, but not now..I already have all my plans for my next tele..so whenever the funds are available.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/26/2005 10:47 pm
Yea, I know what I am getting for my next two axes...a Godin Lgxsa and a Nathan Sheppard Nsg25...I know I keep punting Nathan's guitars, but they really are amazing.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/26/2005 11:02 pm
Yeha.......Enjoy man I have an LP Classic and it is NICE !!!

I ended up whipping off the scratch plate, swapping out the Pus and putting locking tuners on it.

It is just a very sexy axe !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/26/2005 11:43 pm
Well on my Epi I took the gaurd off, but I'm leaving this one on. After playing it at the store and here for the last 3 hours, I am very happy with the pups. The Tuners seem to be very sturdy, but we'll see if they last the test of time and countless amounts of shows.
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/27/2005 12:27 am
Yeah man it is just a lovely axe !!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
Dark13
Dark13
05/27/2005 5:01 pm
But my ESP LP with Dimebuckers, I think, sounds better, and are 600 dollars compared to the outrageous prices of Gibson, 2-3K for an LP?

The Gibson LPs are THE "trendy" guitar to have now, funny even some guitarists that have played Jackson, Floyds, etc, all have LPs lol, to be cool, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, a Gibson LP is a great guitar, just make them HALF the price they are now and they would be reasonable, other wise if I had the money, I'd buy a PRS another all day long.

I few years ago, I bought a PRS McCarty, I worked all summer for that guitar, and it sounds GREAT. I don't think it's right ALL the other guitar co's make LP copies, but PRS has to stop because Gibson sued them...I'm guessing because they made a better single-cut, lol, and it was selling, that's why! lol.
FONT]=Dark13=
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
05/27/2005 6:03 pm
I don't think anyone owns a Gibson LP because they want to be cool. They probably buy them because they want to get the LP tone. What better way to get that tone than to buy one. Your ESP with dimebuckers suits your taste becuase you obviously play metal. Someone who wants to play blues are alternative rock with good clean tones as well as some nice overdriven tones wants the LP. But you're right, they are out priced... The lawsuit was more of a patent infringement than anything else... Gibson is leaniant with ESP because if you put an ESP Eclipse next to an LP the difference are obvious... besides the single-cut shape they're completly different guitars. If you put a PRS single-cut next to a Gibson LP... they're basically the same guitars. PRS made subtle changes to the body shape... that's about it. If you were Gibson... you would have sued them too. But I'm a Fender guy... so none this even matters to me... I was just bored
# 9
konman
konman
05/27/2005 8:45 pm
I got an Epi LP Elitist -- made in Japan (they call it to "Lexus standards"). Its pick-ups are Gibson-made. Feels and plays great -- a real treasure for half the cost of a real Gibson.
But if I had the money, I'd go for Taylor T5!
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/27/2005 10:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Dark13I don't think it's right ALL the other guitar co's make LP copies, but PRS has to stop because Gibson sued them...I'm guessing because they made a better single-cut, lol, and it was selling, that's why! lol.

Whats funny is that Gibson never complained until Prs released a single-cut, despite many other companies making blatant Copies of the LP.
The reason for this is simple...If someone is in the market for a Stagg,Samick,Vintage(etc) Les Paul...I Gibson is quite clearly out of their price range...

However, someone buying a Prs single-cut is in the exact same target market as someone buying a Gibson...
The Prs Single-Cut was the first high-end guitar to offer worthy(probably better) alternative to the Les Paul .

Its sad that it happened, the whole suing thing...I think Orville would have been really dissappointed with Gibson pressing for legal action.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.