Hybrid Picking Primer

Ian Rossiter
Ian Rossiter
05/17/2005 1:00 am
Alot of guys ask me about my Hybrid Picking stlye. It happened totally by accident, but I use it religously everytime I pick up a Guitar. If you're looking to add this to your bag of tricks and are having trouble, try this;
- First, finger a chord with all six strings ( a good ol'fashioned "E" will do nicely)
-Start by singling out your middle finger first. Pick the note on the Low "E" string with your pick. Next,skip a string and pluck the note on the "D" string with your Middle finger.
-Now pick the "A" string with the pick, and the "G" with the finger. Next the "D" and so forth.
-Do it again, but this time, pluck both strings simultainiously (skipping a string,so your sounding the "E" and "D". Move to the "A" and "G" strings and repeat. Go through the entire chord.
-After getting comfortable with this, try playing a scale along the low "E" string, but fingering the Octave note on the "D" string and plucking it with the Middle finger.
-Now take some of your favorite licks and play some of the notes using the middle finger. String skipping licks are great for this,btw.

After doing these exercises, try and incorperate it into your playing. Get comfortable with it, then throw in your Ring finger!!
- Do the same thing with the "E" chord, but now start with the low "E" and play the "D" with your middle and the "G" string with your Ring finger. Play triplets through the chord . It's the same thing as what you did before, but now you're doing "rolls" through the chord, like a Banjo Player would.
Got any "fingerpicking ballads" in your repatoir? Try throwing in hybrid picking instead of dropping your pick for straight fingerpicking,or just playing the whole thing with your pick, ( try the intro to "The Unforgiven")
When you're comfy with two fingers and a pick, try your pinky finger.
Hope this helps, it sounded good in my head!!!
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/20/2005 10:39 am
Thanks man, I tried that and it works great...my hybrid picking is finally makinsg some progress.Thanks.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.