melody

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
05/15/2005 1:42 am
Ive been trying to write lately, and i have no problem coming up with words, just the biggest problem is writing a melody that i like, i usually just randomly hum something and it sucks. What is the best way to make a melody?
Mike ;)
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/15/2005 2:02 am
Listening to other people do it. Just immerse yourself in others' music. Listen to all varieties and styles and pay attention to what the pros do with their melodies. Pros don't just write a melody entirely of quarter notes. They sex it up with rests, syncopation, fluctuating note duration, the occassional leap, etc.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/19/2005 12:57 am
don't forget the metal scream...

If you think you suck at it get someone else to do it. Thats what I would do, being the lazy person I am. I don't get melody lines from other people, but I steal chord progressions from my ex-band mate chris (but inform chris I'm stealing them). I do this, because I feel that my chord progressions/rhythms get dry. So maybe if you get input from someone else it'll help you out.

# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/19/2005 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollydon't forget the metal scream...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
(David Lee Roth and Axle Rose have it down pat)

Speaking of metal, I think Steve Harris of Iron Maiden gives pretty sound advice on the subject of melody and lyrics. "Melody" he says, "should be strictly adhered to, and lyrics should come second and be made to fit that melody."

I cannot think of more sound advice. This statement is absolutely true, those who disagree may write great lyrics and be great lyricists, but they will never be great musicians. Of course you can write lyrics beforehand and THEN write a melody, but those lyrics must then be edited to fit the melody exactly. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand time for a haircut.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.