OK, got the Boss NS-2; think I need a compressor/sustainer

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/14/2005 4:29 pm
Got the Boss NS-2 noise gate. Has cut down quite a bit of the whoosh I was hearing. However, it's clipping off quite a bit of the notes I'm playing. Tried tweaking the threshold and decay every which way. Also find it works best at the end of the chain, as opposed to Boss' instructions to have it first (that just doesn't make sense to me.) So, I figure I need a compressor/sustainer, but which one? I hear Boss' are kinda noisy. I have a friend that loves his Digitech, but he's more of a jazz player- I'm fiddling around with heavy metal now, so I have the distortion box cranked up pretty high. Suggestions on make/model of a compression box? I've read at a number of sites that the Boss can be quite noisy.

btw- can one of you tech gurus explain exactly how a compressor works in SIMPLE English? I figger I should learn a bit more about the gadgets I'm beginning to accumulate. I haven't been able to set my Korg effects box to default settings, one being simple sustain (can't find the manual, and I programmed the thing yrs. ago to different settings.)

fwiw, I have the stomp boxes setup this way: Korg, Death Metal Distortion, noise gate. Tried different combinations, and found this way works best. Playing through a Crate MicroCube with the effects knob set to clean- set any other way other than acoustic just creates to much hiss. Have other amps, but they're in storage. Thanks much.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/14/2005 5:24 pm
Compression:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8572

If the noise gate is clipping your signal, drop the threshold. It is a bad idea to have it at the end of your signal chain as you can lose verb tails / delay / distortion.

You don't want a CS3, it will only raise the noise floor.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/14/2005 7:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonCompression:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8572

If the noise gate is clipping your signal, drop the threshold. It is a bad idea to have it at the end of your signal chain as you can lose verb tails / delay / distortion.

You don't want a CS3, it will only raise the noise floor.

Hi Doc-thanks for your prompt reply and link to what compression is all about.

In retrospect, I guess it does seem to makes sense to have the gate up front, but that's when I get the most clipping, but it really cuts down on the distortion and overall response. The threshold is already at the minimum, in front, or at the end. I get better distortion with the gate at the end, but more hiss also. With the gate up front, I may as well not even use the distortion box- it sounds like a Gibson SG played clean; nice, but not what I'm trying to accomplish. I've taken the Korg box out of the equation for now while I'm tinkering with this. Maybe I'll try the Korg at the end and up the sustain? Will try it when I get a chance- got an impatient kid waiting for me to stop making all this noise, lol. Thanks again; will report back.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/14/2005 7:54 pm
If this NS-2 is working properly you shouldn't get anything when it kicks in. Maybe a little amp noise but their is nothing you can do about that. If the clipping is happening up front then turn the threshold down so that the expanders take out just the noise not the signal.

One thing to look for is wether their is one pedal (like an EQ, the GE7 is notorious) that is causing all the noise. if there is you may want to think about replacing it either with another brand or getting rid completely.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/14/2005 9:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonIf this NS-2 is working properly you shouldn't get anything when it kicks in. Maybe a little amp noise but their is nothing you can do about that. If the clipping is happening up front then turn the threshold down so that the expanders take out just the noise not the signal.

One thing to look for is wether their is one pedal (like an EQ, the GE7 is notorious) that is causing all the noise. if there is you may want to think about replacing it either with another brand or getting rid completely.

Well, I'm not getting any noise if the gate is up front as you (and Boss) suggest- but that seems to be part of the problem in that it's suppressing a bit TOO much, hence the clipping. I understand this is kinda part and parcel of a noise gate, at least from what I've read, and from what a coupla friends have told me, meaning I can expect some sound clipping. That's why I thought a compressor/sustain pedal might help.

Part of the problem could simply be that I'm playing alone. Could also be the Crate amp I'm playing through; maybe I'll drag out my 30+ yr. old Fender Champ that has only volume and tone controls. If I had a whole band playing around me, I probably wouldn't be so sensitive to any hiss or other noise. Well, I'm not unhappy that I got the gate in any case; it certainly seems to be doing it's job. Thanks much for your input, and to those that suggested the NS-2. I probably need a bit more time to find that sweet spot.

# 5
oracleguy
oracleguy
05/15/2005 12:52 am
Bought a BOSS BD-2 today. Awsome! Best mellow distortion since ( :mad: :mad: :mad: ) I sold my real-tube to a "friend" a few years back.

Anyway, IMHO, BOSS make some of the best gear out there. I'm an Electrical Engineer (IEEE) by vocation, and the components plus assy. in the BD-2 are top-notch. Too bad they're no longer made in CA though.

**please read the forum posting rules ***(Edited by Dr_Simon)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.