Whats the best guitar for that crunchy punk sound?

x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
05/10/2005 7:52 pm
Im having a problem, i play alotta differnt music, but i want to get that crunchy punk sound. I had in mind a Special II(les paul) but i just dont think itll get that sound. But I hate the Strats body...everyone has them and idk i just dont want one. Could i get some nice pick ups to give the Special II that sound? If not give me some suggestions please, even if its a strat, i need to put the sound before the body. But I thought the les paul would be good for the BNR and Led sound. Idk, im kinda at a loss here, please help me out.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/11/2005 3:22 am
[font=trebuchet ms]You can play pretty much any kind of music with any kind of guitar. You need to look at amps and stomp-boxes.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
05/11/2005 12:33 pm
Exactly... Look at a TubeScreamer Overdrive or a Metal Zone distortion pedal... any modern amp with decent wattage (over 50) will give you plenty of crunch, some more than others... Modern tube amps are the best amps to get that crunch sound but they're expensive. So I suggest that you get a good guitar effects/amp processor. The GNX series from DigiTech are nice and the Boss GT6 and GT8 are both awesome. As for the guitar... I'm not so sure I would go with an Epiphone Special II.... You will get tired of that guitar in a hurry... it's a beginner guitar and theres nothing wrong with that. Bit Schecter makes some really nice guitars for low price... sometimes I think the under price their guitars... and they get great tone. It takes some time to develop your own tone and takes a lot of experimenting with what works best... and money is always an issue. So theres some stuff to think about. It's a good starting place.
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/12/2005 10:23 pm
Dude, stay away from Epiphone specials, Yea, you should look more into amps and effects, although the Les paul is associated with heavy crunch, it is also associated with lounge jazz(or should be, as it is a LES PAUL signiture guitar). Also, if you are going to get a LP, dont go lower than an Epi Studio, but preferably an Epi Standard.

That heavy crunch sound also has alot to do with attack and your playing techinique.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.