Any suggestions

faygo_d
faygo_d
05/06/2005 6:50 am
I have been playing guitar for about six months. I have gotten pretty good
with reading tabs. and can play some songs with practice. but I want to play
original music. But I don't know how to start even making my own song.
I will take all suggestions into consideration. please help :eek:
# 1
faygo_d
faygo_d
05/06/2005 6:53 am
Originally Posted by: faygo_dI have been playing guitar for about six months. I have gotten pretty good
with reading tabs. and can play some songs with practice. but I want to play
original music. But I don't know how to start even making my own song.
I will take all suggestions into consideration. please help :eek:

Heaven and hell is the life you live today. which do you choose?
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
05/06/2005 12:38 pm
In order for you to start writing your own original pieces you have to understand the structures of a song... and you have to know something about theory. Learn a bunch of chords and a few scales... try to understand what scales to play in certain keys a song is in... then when you get around to learning the basics of that you can put some chords together, write in some lead fills with the scales you know, and come out with a finished piece that should sound decent for a beginner. As it stands now, I don't know if just being able to read tabs will give you what you need to write your own music. Don't think that I'm telling you to NOT try out your own stuff... if you've got good ideas try to bang them out. Just try to learn a little something about what structures a song in terms of theory.
# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
05/07/2005 6:36 am
My first song was a result of thumbing through a chord book and coming across a Bm7 chord all fretted on the 7th fret. I accidentally added the open high E string, and it added a slight dissonant melody when picked after the chord rake. Liking this I searched on my bass E string for where I thought the next chord should be. I settled on G, and searched the chord forms of G with the root on E 3rd fret, and liked GMa7. Then adding some open string pulloffs on the B string for each chord, a progression was taking shape. I also found that the open string harmonics on the 7th were the same notes as the B chord, so that opened up another dynamic. You get the picture...writing a song is a combination of creativity, intelligence, inspiration, and of course just damn luck. You can't force it, but you have to keep at it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 4
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
05/08/2005 5:21 am
I found out about this site from someone on this site. Just play some chords and find what sounds good to you. One of my songs uses G D C E for the verse. It is in the key of G. E is not in that key, but I thought it sounded pretty cool when I threw it in there.
1 Peter 2:16
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.