Squeling

garthio
garthio
05/03/2005 10:51 pm
Hey guys i didnt really know where to put this so i put it here.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to squeal (not to sure on how to spell that sry) if you dont know what im talking about. Dimebag used to squeel all the time he battled phil at the end of cemetary gates with a squeel if anyone can help it would be greatly appriciated thank a lot.
R.I.P Dimebag
You Will Never Be Forgotten
# 1
BORN2DIEB430
BORN2DIEB430
05/03/2005 11:18 pm
I don't have it down like Diamond but who does? Here is what I do. Distortion has to be as raunchy as you can get it. I suggest using a pedal if you can. Set you E.Q so you highs are maxxed, about 75 to 80% mids, and about half of your bottom range. Holding the pick close to the contact edge so when you strike the string the edge of you thumb hits right after/simotaniously. Try stricking the string aggressivly, or use more of a plucking technique. I don't know the term, but rapidly bend the string, it seems to sustain the note. Don't bend the string enough to change the note, only enough to give it a "shimmer" effect. I have experimented with combining feed back with the technique, only to be disappointed. If anyone knows the tried and true method, I am interested also. I have read that Diamond uses a tube screamer pedal, and rebuilt head... I don't know for sure though. Hope my advice gets you closer to screaming like a banshee.

Diamond Dimebag Darrel Abbot will live forever!

Diamond Dimebag Darrel Abbot will live FOREVER!
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/04/2005 1:14 am
Vibrato. To get the right pitch of the squeel (pinch harmonic) right after you pluck, hit your thumb on it like he said^^^, but keep your thumb on it. Thats the sound you'll hear if you let it ring. A quick way to find the perfect sound. Some practice: No more tears by ozzy,played by the great Zach W. heres a quick tab for ya:
|--------------------------------------------|
|-0-3-0--6*-5-3-5-3-5--6*------------------|
|-0-3-0--6*-5-3-5-3-5--6*------------------|
|-0-3-0--6*-5-3-5-3-5--6*--5-3-5-3ph~---- |
.......... ...........
tuning is drop d or c(your choice), heavy distortion
... palm mute
* let ring breifly
ph pinch harmonic
~ vibrato
Another way to help do the vibrato, think of semi fast hammer ons and pull offs, then thats how fast you bend the string.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
BORN2DIEB430
BORN2DIEB430
05/04/2005 1:32 am
You keep your thumb on the string the entire time the string is ringing? I am going to give that a shot. How do you change the amount of squel accurately?
# 4
MoonliteShred
MoonliteShred
05/04/2005 3:35 am
i think you need a pedal that would make it really squeel. like a boss metal zone,
For the love of music not for the love of money!!! :D

:p
# 5
BORN2DIEB430
BORN2DIEB430
05/04/2005 4:30 am
Originally Posted by: MoonliteShredi think you need a pedal that would make it really squeel. like a boss metal zone,

Thats the pedal I have. The only one I have!
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
05/04/2005 8:06 pm
It's called a pinch harmonic... and if you want to make the note sing like Dimebag does just combine the use of a floyd rose... after you execute the pinch harmonic rock the floyd rose back... the farther back the higher the note. A lot of metal guys use this like Zakk Wylde, DIME, Hammett... so on... but Satriani and Vai use it ALL the time. If you're learning "Cemetary Gates" you definitely need to know how to do this because everytime you hear that screaching higher pitched note... it's a pinch harmonic. Practice Practice Practice and you'll be doing it all the time I promise you! haha. A tip on learning how to do this... hold your pick so that just a little bit of the tip is sticking out. When you strike the note don't press the skin of your thumb onto the string... you just want to graze the string giving it that harmonic sound. I've never heard of anybody holding there thumb on the string to do pinch harmonics... but whatever works for you. Also, a good pick to use for playing stuff like that are the Jim Dunlop Stubbies.
# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/04/2005 9:22 pm
Here's an easy way to get that sound, it was one of the first tricks I learned years back. Lightly pace your finger over the 9th fret on the top 2 strings, pick the notes and let the two notes ring out. If you don't know what I mean, it is the same pricipal as ringing out the harmonics when you tune the strings using 5th to 7th fret on alternate strings.
Now, to get the Dime sound you need to have decent pickups and a good distortion setting that allows lets you get a long sustain. Pick the harmonic on the top two strings at the 9th fret then do a dive bomb with your trem (also an essential part of equipment in the technique).
Experiment along the fretboard and you will find some great harmonics. The best are at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 and so on up the next 12 frets.
A nice dive bomb can be got by ringing an open high E (top string), then as the note rings out, ever so lightly place your finger over a harmonic as you dive the trem forward. Gives a great sound going from an open clean note up several tones to the sqeel as it dive down and the strings rattle off the pickups.
You can also drop the trem forward a bit and dive back wards or as Dime did a lot, turn the trem arm the opposite way so it faces away from the strings, hit a high 17th fret harmonic then lean on the arm as far back as you can go. Make sure you have good strings and a well locaked trem otherwise the strings will break and/or the whoe set up will go out of tune. Also, use your ear to judgte how far to dive back or forward if you want to keep in key with the rest of the licks in the solo.
Good luck!
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/04/2005 9:31 pm
PS the squeals you are talking about in the trade off at the end of Cemetery Gates are definitely NOT pinch harmonics, they are plain harmonics with a good tremelo. Try it and see, you will never get that high with a pinched harmonic because the strings will touch the fret board before the level is achieve. The reason being, the higher up the fret board you go, the shorter the distance between the string and the last fret (22 or 24 depending on your guitar). A regular harmonic gives you a few extra precious millimetres to play with when bending the arm back, try it and you will see that there is no comparison.
Q.E.D!
;-)

PPS Pinched harmonics are used on the heavy riff at the begining on the last two notes of notes of each bar.
# 9
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/06/2005 5:44 pm
Originally Posted by: BORN2DIEB430You keep your thumb on the string the entire time the string is ringing? I am going to give that a shot. How do you change the amount of squel accurately?

NO. Keep your thumb on the the string to find the sound you want. Then when you like the sound, pick then brush with your thumb and keep it off. Keeping yout thumb on the string is just a way to find the pitch, not to do the trick.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.