View post (Really good clean amp)

View thread

Ian Rossiter
Ian Rossiter
05/06/2005 9:46 pm
First off, hello to a fellow Tele player!!
Depending on your style, there are many choices. The Fender Twin Reverb is an industry standard, and Tele with a Twin can be otherworldly!!! The downfall of the Twin is that it can be "too Much Amp" for some situations. It's LOUD and powerfull, sometimes too much so. The weight can also be a pain in the ass,especially if the gig is on the third floor,there's no elevator,and you have to park 2 blocks away from the gig!!!
For a clean tube amp though, the Twin IS tough to beat; I've used em for Country,Blues,Funk,Reggae,Rockabilly,and Soul gigs from time to time. I'm not really gigging anymore,so I'm using a Fender Deluxe ri. It dosent start to "break up" till the volume gets turned to 6.
Back in the early 90's, I used a Fender Pro 185,(SS Twin,with Drive channels,2-12' speakers, and @ 160 watts). It wasn't exactly tone heaven, but it did the job,and was fairly reliable and road worthy. It had tons of clean headroom t'boot. It took pedals fairly well, and was only about 50lbs. They can be had on the cheap nowadays too.
Just wondering....what styles are you playing??
Ian