stage fright

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
04/24/2005 5:01 pm
last night at prom i was called up to play with the 3 piece band that was already up and we planned this out and everything, i was nervous of course and i was the guest guitarist so they asked me to play something live to warm up so i played the Crazy Train solo and everyone clapped etc. then we planned before hand to play Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day. I started off the first note and sang the first line, my voice cracked and it wasnt good. Iwas nervous as hell too, my left leg started shaking as we played and i kept trying to calm it down, eventually it did, but i had a little stage fright, it made me forget some lyrics and some riffs, so i kinda brought it down sorta. WHat is the best way to get rid of stage fright?
Mike ;)
# 1
SPL
SPL
04/24/2005 5:25 pm
Best way to get over it is to keep performing. The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll get.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2005 5:46 pm
Don't get drunk, make sure you are well rehearsed and like SPL says, the more gigging you do the less frightening it becomes !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/24/2005 5:59 pm
Practice with your band as if it were a show.A shot of tequila or a beer or two can really take the edge off...like simon said though,don't get drunk(even a heavy buzz can make you sloppy or forgetful).If your opposed to drinking at all or simply dont have any alchy then a couple tablespoons of your favorite cough syrup will do the trick!
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/24/2005 6:31 pm
Stage fright is something you learn to deal with as you play for people -- there's no way to get around it other than playing for people and going through it as much as possible.

I know a lot of singers who'll have a beer before a show to relax their vocal cords, but generally, depending on alcohol or other "party favors" to help you with your jitters is a very bad idea.

Personally, as much as I may drink after I'm done playing, I drink as little as possible before and durring the gig.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
ake
ake
04/24/2005 9:52 pm
An old pro told me the best way to get over stage fright is to imagine that the people in the audience are all naked. This workes for me. Drinking before a show is real trickey as others have noted. Iv'e had a couple before we went on and felt fine. Ten minutes into the first set "uh oh".....
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 6
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/24/2005 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart.If your opposed to drinking at all or simply dont have any alchy then a couple tablespoons of your favorite cough syrup will do the trick!

You are horrible Chuck :p

gonna put the man to sleep!
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/24/2005 10:49 pm
Originally Posted by: ScottMoneyYou are horrible Chuck :p

gonna put the man to sleep!

Well he is doing green day covers,it will happen naturally anyway!Just joking.

Really,your nerve won't get as frazzled if your slightly drowsy or something.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
CW14
CW14
04/25/2005 12:42 am
The only time I've performed for an audience was at school about a year ago. I played a little fingerpicking acoustic thing, I played it too fast, my leg was shaking and I messed it up about five times lol.

I have the problem of stage fright too. Is there a way to get over it without actually performing for a whole audience?
I read somewhere that just pretending that people are watching you can help.
BOL
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2005 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: CW14The only time I've performed for an audience was at school about a year ago. I played a little fingerpicking acoustic thing, I played it too fast, my leg was shaking and I messed it up about five times lol.

I have the problem of stage fright too. Is there a way to get over it without actually performing for a whole audience?
I read somewhere that just pretending that people are watching you can help.

That might help, but there's no substitute for being well rehearsed and for playing in front of people.

One thing I helped me out was all the years of Tae Kwon Do I took -- it put me out, alone, in front of the class to do forms, for testings and the like so by the time I had a band, I was already used to being in the spot light in front of crowds.

If you're still in school, you might want to think about joining Drama or another class where performances or speaches are required.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/25/2005 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: akeAn old pro told me the best way to get over stage fright is to imagine that the people in the audience are all naked. This workes for me.

I had read somewhere at some time that the best way to deal with an audience is to forget them. The more attention you put towards them, the less that's geared towards your playing and overall performance. If you're busy thinking about the people watching you, then you're not thinking about what you're actually doing, that being playing the guitar, thus you're more likely to screw up. Basically, forget about them all. You've got your guitar in hand and it needs your upmost attention when playing. And how do you do that? well, that can vary. Experience would certainly help, but if you go up there expecting the worst and putting all your attention into the wrong things then you're asking for a problem. Also, don't hype up about overly tricky parts that you tend to have a problem with. Again, too much focus on one thing. It's kind of like sorting your priorities when you play live and the crowd impression, contrary to popular belief, is pretty low on the list. Best of luck to you next time.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
04/27/2005 5:20 pm
Experience is the biggest thing.....Xanax is a miracle cure for stage fright also, Ha........
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 12
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/27/2005 5:33 pm
I guess I'm lucky. I've never had stage fright for as long as I can remember. Being in front of crowds doesn't bother me in the least, which is kinda funny because I'm not very social. Put me in front of a couple hundred people and I'm fine, put me in front of a couple people and I get pretty quiet.

An old pro told me the best way to get over stage fright is to imagine that the people in the audience are all naked. This workes for me.

I dunno about that one. Getting a boner on stage can make you quite self-conscious, although having a guitar slung in front of it helps a lot.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/27/2005 6:01 pm
"I guess you could only do one, really..."

"Yeah, one is all you need."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/27/2005 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiI dunno about that one. Getting a boner on stage can make you quite self-conscious, although having a guitar slung in front of it helps a lot.

Meh. Boners are real crowd-pleasers.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 15
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/27/2005 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIf you've got a strong penis it would make for a good stage trick!

I wonder how many people have tried using a boner as a slide.

I should probably stop talking now before this topic gets locked.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 16
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/27/2005 8:11 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiI wonder how many people have tried using a boner as a slide.

I should probably stop talking now before this topic gets locked.

Too late. This thread's fate was sealed once nudity was mentioned. May as well contribute now... I get turned on when I.. ahem.. "play with" my guitar.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.