Problem with restringing

lateralis
lateralis
04/19/2005 7:34 pm
[FONT=Times New Roman]Hey, hows everyone? I'm doing fine. Well I'm at the very beginning of playing the guitar. I had a little experience with it a few years ago but gave it up, but now I'm back at it again for good. I'm still using the same Ibanez electric guitar that I bought when I first started a few years ago, and I've never changed the strings once. So I recently bought new strings to restring my guitar. My issue with the restringing is after you've loosened the string from the tuning peg, how do you loosen the string ball so it can come out of the bridge hole? I heard theres some material in there that keeps the ball in place, and I wasn't sure how to undo that so I can get it out. Any advice that I get will be much appreciated by me. Thanks again. Later.[/FONT]]
Walk Away
Untouched
I can't relate, to anyone
I try to be, a humble man, a better son, a better friend
But life gets in the way
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2005 7:56 pm
Take the string right off the peg and just push it backwards so the ball comes out. Then thread the rest of the string backwards through the hole.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/20/2005 12:59 am
What kind of guitar do you have? Depending on the bridge type, removing the string can be different.

Floyd Rose (RG series, Jem, Universe, etc...): you'll need to loosen the screws (with an allen wrench) that old the string to the guitar (there should be one on the bridge and the nut, which is inbetween the neck and head of the guitar).

With other types of bridges once you unwind the tuning peg the string should slide out easily (unless it got tied on one end for some reason).

** or just cut the ball off the string... you don't need it for the old string anyway ** :)
# 3
lateralis
lateralis
04/21/2005 12:59 am
[FONT=Times New Roman]Hey, thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it. One last question on the restringing and I think I'll be pretty much set. Whats the method to wrapping your new strings around the tuning peg? For each cycle do you keep going under the string? Thanks, I appreciate all answers.[/FONT]
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 4
lateralis
lateralis
04/21/2005 1:01 am
Originally Posted by: guitarist101What kind of guitar do you have? Depending on the bridge type, removing the string can be different.

Floyd Rose (RG series, Jem, Universe, etc...): you'll need to loosen the screws (with an allen wrench) that old the string to the guitar (there should be one on the bridge and the nut, which is inbetween the neck and head of the guitar).

With other types of bridges once you unwind the tuning peg the string should slide out easily (unless it got tied on one end for some reason).

** or just cut the ball off the string... you don't need it for the old string anyway ** :)

It's an Ibanez GI0 Electric Model.
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/21/2005 1:12 am
don't go round more than twice and yep keep the string going under
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
lateralis
lateralis
04/21/2005 1:16 am
It keeps getting all tangled up when I go under the 2nd time around. Do I have to put the string through the tuning peg hole again?
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 7
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/21/2005 11:42 am
The new string only goes through the tuning peg one time. One way that may help when tightening the string is to, after putting the string through the hole, use your left hand to hold down the string at the nut of the guitar (around the 1st fret) and push down on the string in between the nut and the tuning peg. This way you'll force the string to go as low as possible onto the tuning peg. I'll try to create a video lesson on this for you that may help.
# 8
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/21/2005 12:49 pm
Alright man, I put a short video in my section on the front page. Hope it helps ya.
# 9
lateralis
lateralis
04/21/2005 3:58 pm
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks. I really appreciate this. I'm glad I found this site. If I have any more troubles (which I don't think I should) during this process I'll email you or post the question here. I wasn't able to view the video cause I haven't signed up yet and I don't have the money right now to pay for a monthly bill. Let alone I don't have a credit card. However, your explanation in text below was really helpful. However, hopefully over the summer I'll come up with the money and sign up so I can view the video lessons. Alright, well I'll stop rambling on now, but I appreciate your help. Thanks again.[/FONT]
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 10
lateralis
lateralis
04/21/2005 8:34 pm
Ok, haha, I didn't think I would have another question on this issue, but I do. I'm holding down the string on the nut and the area between the nut and tuning peg as you said, however, when I go to wrap the string around the second time it always wants to pop out of the tuning peg, the part thats wrapped. When you go around the second time, do you want to pass the string under the part of the string thats going into the tuning peg hole? Cause when I wrap it around, I'm going in a clockwise motion. Another question that I'll get out of the way is after you've successfully wrapped the string around a second time how do you exactly keep the string in place without it coming undone? I heard somewhere you have to fold the string over? How do you exactly go about in doing that? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate all the answers that I'm getting. Better to know now than never know at all right?
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 11
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/22/2005 11:59 pm
You want to keep some tension on the string so it doesn't fly away from the tuning peg. What *should* happen is each time it wraps around the tuning post, the new layer pushes the old up the post (so the first wrap is at the top of the post).
# 12
lateralis
lateralis
04/23/2005 5:14 am
Ok, I got you now. After so many trials my first string is a bit tangled at the end and I'm thinking thats what caused the trouble. Oh well. Ok so after you've wrapped it around the second time, how do you go about in folding the string over so I hear to keep the string in place so it doesn't come undone?
Walk Away
Untouched
But life gets in the way
# 13
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
04/23/2005 9:35 am
Once you have the string wrapped around the tuning peg (and in tune) cut the excess string and move on to the next string.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.