View post (Big Brother)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/20/2005 12:58 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnemy point is, you step up security in one area, the crime doesn't go away; it goes elsewhere. to truly prevent crime takes a lot more than putting in cameras and increasing beat cops; it requires better social services and better education.

What about the fact that these cameras are statistically lowering overall crime rate for the cities in which they've been placed? Perhaps if the United States justice system were a tad less lenient, than overall incentive would be reduced. For example:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/Midwest/10/02/milwaukee.beating/index.html

Now, I will concede that some of the assailants were minors, and that the child of 10 could not be held as responsible for his own actions in as much as the other perpetrators of this crime. Sadly, this article does not mention any information on sentencing. However, I happen to know that the longest sentence given to those who were proven guilty (ALL of the accused), was seven years. A few members of this group were 18 and legal adults.

"The group caught him on the porch of a nearby house where they beat him with baseball bats, shovels, broom handles, a tree limb, a folding chair, a plastic milk crate and a rake, Jones said."

"The beating was so severe that blood was spattered onto the high porch ceiling. Young tried to get in the door of the home, Jones said, but the boys pulled him back and beat him again."

Seven years for the brutal murder of a human being. Is this the price we put on a man's life? Was Charlie Young so worthless as to give the legal adults of 18 a mere slap on the wrist? Yes, Mr. Young should not have taken matters into his own hands when the egg was thrown at him, but if that's just cause for a gang beating/murder, then the world has come to an end. It's COOL to go to prison thanks to gangster rap, especially for murder and drugs. These sick bastards probably think themselves heroic vigilantes. If the American justice system calls seven year sentences for first-degree, cold-blooded murder appropriate, than it's small wonder we need to lower the crime rate.

Even if you don't believe in the death penalty, the price for horribly, horribly taking a life should be LIFE in prison at the very least. Criminals need retribution, potential criminals need role models, not gangster rappers.
Education is about knowledge, not about humane behavior. Yes, education will reduce crime rate if you can get kids to pay attention in school. Tell me, though, which of the following appeals more to today's youth:

1. Get an education and be something.

2. Get a gun, join a gang, sell drugs and listen to gangster rap.

Unfortunately, option 2 appeals more today because there's no such thing as a "good role model." It's popular to be a criminal, and until that changes, no amount of algebra and French II is going to inspire the youth to be something more than what they see on MTV, even though education ultimately leads to a lower crime rate. I hate to use cliches, but "where there's a will, there's a way" also works in reverse. If no will exists, there's no way something like a lower crime rate can be acheived.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...