View post (Big Brother)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/19/2005 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartNot at all...i'm simply saying your average street/corner is not monitored and they will never be...they are your 'average' street/corner because its not very troublesome compared to those that are,but your more likely to get attacked/mugged/killed on an average street/corner(obviously depends how much time you spend walking them).

what???? So your more likely to get mugged and killed on your average street/corner than on streets/corners where crime rates are higher?
That doesn't make any sense.

Like I said,it looks great on paper/statistics,but the criminal activity is still only reduced in those areas that are monitored and those numbers are ridiculous(yes,your just making a point I know).

A minute ago you were saying criminal activity isn't reduced by presence of cameras now your saying it's reduced only where cameras are. Well, if the use of cameras becomes more widespread, wouldn't that lower crime rates in more and more places, especially on your "average streets/corners" where these new cameras are going?

If criminal activity is reduced in areas that cameras monitor, then you've LOST the argument as to whether or not cameras reduce crime rates. Clearly they DO. If the use of cameras is expanded (the SUBJECT of this thread), it would lower the crime rate, period, end of discussion.

Never been to batten rouge...is it a ghost town?What are the crime rates for places considerd to be "boon docks"?Would you feel safer walking at 2:00 A.M in "Upton" Massachusetts(where a fender bender is the talk of the town) or 8:00 P.M in Boston within lights and crowds?

This doesn't really have to do with anything, but since you brought it up: Lights and crowds are a crime deterent just like cameras, so tell me again why cameras wouldn't deter violent crime if lights and crowds do?

My point is,people shouldn't find a false sense of absolute security just because a camera is in place.It can and does help deter the probability of an encounter,but is no replacement for good judgment and awarness...I didn't say martial arts.Thats the last thing I would recommend to anyone in a confrontation.

What are you talking about? Nobody's going to say: "Oh, there's a camera, so I can be an idiot and walk down the street at three am blindfolded with four hundred-dollar bills hanging out of my pocket."

My point is: Why would cameras reduce awareness? This, as opposed to crime reduction, is not statistically proven, nor does it make much sense.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...