View post (Big Brother)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/19/2005 4:55 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov...the problem is that you're on OTHER cameras while you're not wearing the mask and you're just as busted just as soon as the police match your clothing to the dude in the ski mask.[/QUOTE]
From what ive read,it seems these cameras are in statistical 'hot spots'.They arn't exactly in every nook and cranny...yet.[/quote]
And?

Are you saying we should spend our crime-fighting dollars where crimes aren't being committed?

Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart
...And the net effect is lower crime rates in the city without violating anybody's privacy as they are watching PUBLIC areas.

The net effect looks great on paper.Only those 'hot spots' are somewhat safer.

Hot spots tend to be hot spots and cold spots tend to be cold spots for reasons; namely the hot spots are usually easier and more rewarding to operate in. If you can cut back crime in those areas, you can often make a dramatic impact upon crime rates in the whole city.

Say a bad neighborhood accounts for 90% of the crime in a given city, reducing crime only 25% in just that one 'hood is a 22.5% reduction for the whole city which is substantial. If you cut it in half, that's a 45% reduction for the whole city.

[QUOTE=chucklivesoninmyheart]
...Neither do well-lit areas nor most crowds, but both somehow manage to discourage attacks.

How much would you bank on such things to keep you safe from threats?

More than I would if I were stopping for gas in "Ghost Town" (in Baton Rouge).

[QUOTE=chucklivesoninmyheart]
So we should steer away from doing things that make potential criminals say "ahh, screw it" because if we feel safer by virtue of being safer, then we're not as safe as we were when crime rates were higher?

Cameras monitoring statistically high crime areas are fine.Every little bit helps(those areas).It just simply isn't good enough to walk around unaware and ignorant of potential attacks,even if they are 'reduced'.

Look, everybody can't be martial arts experts, crack shots, fully trained EMTs and ready to break muggers in half at the drop of a hat -- nothing (outside of the crushing of muggers) would ever get done.

Nothing ever totally gets rid of crime, but cameras have been proven to discourage (and often aid in the prosecution of) everything from traffic violations to violent felonies. If there is less crime then we are safer.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons