Slash v Kirk Hammet

tehplatypus
tehplatypus
04/22/2005 12:10 am
Originally Posted by: stringmaster05but wen it comes to pure energy and skill, Hammit takes it...........................

and by energy and skill, you mean "wah pedal," right?

i'll give that kirk probably has better technique than slash but kirk has also given up on a lot of his potential by letting himself basically be castrated in metallica and i think that allowing that to happen is a big enough sin to outweigh any technique he has.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/24/2005 7:02 pm
Skill & techniques : Both are closely average or less.
Originality : Slash
Soul : Slash
Tone : Slash

Overall : Slash wins.

If we can accuse hammett for using wah on every solo , does it mean that we can also accuse other guitarists for using delays & reverbs on all solos ? :rolleyes:
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/24/2005 11:57 pm
Originally Posted by: stringmaster05Hammit is definately better, just listen and compare, slash may have more emotional solos, but wen it comes to pure energy and skill, Hammit takes it...........................

Not to nitpick, but since his name is spelled correctly in the tread title, it'd be a bit more convincing if you managed to spell it right, too.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/26/2005 2:15 pm
Its not a matter of taste whose better... you can evaluate both players techniques, material and success to work out 'whose better'.

Orion is my fave metallica song too.

I just think SLash has far more iconic pieces of music to his name.
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/26/2005 8:36 pm
Sad to say it,but in my opinion kirk probly has more skill and ability on the fretboard,but slash is much more creative.I can't think of any metallica solo that really hit me except mabey the first few times I heard the solo to "ride the lightning".

a little off the main topic,some of the best solo's ive heard that evoked emotion in me have been fast,well executed solos.Slow soloing can just as easily be boring as a mindless 'wankfest'.

Some argue the its the way you hit the notes that make the difference,but I really think its the note mostly.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
agno
agno
04/26/2005 8:40 pm
I have listen to Guns n Roses since I was a little kid and I know everything about GNR and Slash. Havent heard Metallica that much but I think Kirk Hammet is really good. But I would like to say that Slash is the best guitarist ever, because of his tone and his skills.
# 6
edd pezza
edd pezza
05/05/2005 4:14 pm
kirk hammett is definately the best guitarist out of him and slash, he has written so many good riffs and him and james are amazing and should be knighted cos they are amazing :D :cool:
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/05/2005 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: SLYIf we can accuse hammett for using wah on every solo , does it mean that we can also accuse other guitarists for using delays & reverbs on all solos ? :rolleyes:

That's not what I mean. There's nothing wrong with USING a wah pedal. If you've ever seen or heard Metallica live, you can hear Hammet STOMPING on his wah pedal the entire time. You can hardly make out any of the notes in his solo. I don't mind when people USE a wah, it's when they HIDE behind it like Hammet.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 8
aschleman
aschleman
05/05/2005 5:53 pm
Valid point... Hammett does use his wah a lot.... BUT, for me, I admire some of the riffs he can bust out with the wah. It adds another dimension to his playing. I love Slash... I think his emotional style is the absolute definition of a great guitarist. Hammett is more technical however... There are pros and cons to both sides. As for success... Metallica has been going for what...25 years now... Let's automatically take like 10 years off of that because of the horrendous St.Anger album... so that's like 15 years... That, in my book, is longevity... Slash is making a strong comeback with Velvet Revolver... so they both have the longevity thing going for them... As far as iconic pieces... it's really heads-up... In my mind I can think of more iconic Metallica pieces than from G&R... I don't like comparing artists... and I think these threads are pointless because no one really cares... Slash is talented... Kirk is talented... Maybe they should do a collaboration and play side by side so we can hear how they play on the same backing track.... Since that will never happen. Keep talking about it on forums. haha. It's all about personal opinion
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/05/2005 10:21 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanLet's automatically take like 10 years off of that because of the horrendous St.Anger album... so that's like 15 years...

Let's not forget most of "Load" and "Reload." Really Metallica was only good for four and a half albums before they sold out completely. So we'll add up the years they were together through Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and half of the Black Album and it looks like Metallica was good for 11 years. With the added penalty you suggested for St. Anger (10 years), Metallica has been good for a year. Go, guys, go.

Guns N' Roses (whom I like less than Metallica) was together for 6 years. Then Slash toured with "Slash's Snakepit" (Which had some PHENOMENAL material) and released two full studio albums. Added to the five albums he released with Guns and Roses, that makes seven records. If we're going to talk about longevity, Slash has released more quality material than Hammet, even without the inclusion of the stuff he's putting out with Velvet Revolver (or Stone Temple Pilots 2.0).
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
aschleman
aschleman
05/06/2005 1:45 pm
Yeah, like I said... I can see both sides of it. I just see both guitarists for what they are and to me they're both incredibly talented and established. I'm a bigger fan of Metallica than Guns N Roses also... but I would honestly say that I like Slash more than Hammett. Personal opinion though.
# 11
hammetthead13
hammetthead13
05/06/2005 9:00 pm
speed n technique = Hammett
Feel n Rhythm = slash

End of
My amp is a weapon of mas DISTORTION!!!!
# 12
BMG_SKULK
BMG_SKULK
05/07/2005 8:00 am
You aksed for an opinion...so here it comes.

Slash sounds like dog crap. Sweet Child of Mine sounds awful to me.
The opening melody is just played...what I call dead. No vibrato
on the notes....just kind of out of time and out of tune.

He hits a good lick now and again, but I have always despised the
guy's playing.

He's a heroin junkie anyway, so he has no clue what state he's in
most of the time...much less what he actually sounds like.

Sure...they made lots of money.

But so did Madonna...Britney Spears....

Kirk....was better in the beginning. Ride The Lighting...Master of Puppets.
He uses wah every tune now...really lame.
Sample of my music ETHEREAL
ALL MY MUSIC SOUNDS BEST...WITH SOME GOOD PHONES, AND PLAYED REALLY LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Try POWER DVD or a real piece of software.
WMP, Realplayer, and those little things kill...recordings...muffle them..take away the stereo field.
# 13
garthio
garthio
05/10/2005 12:29 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonLet's not forget most of "Load" and "Reload." Really Metallica was only good for four and a half albums before they sold out completely. So we'll add up the years they were together through Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and half of the Black Album and it looks like Metallica was good for 11 years. With the added penalty you suggested for St. Anger (10 years), Metallica has been good for a year. Go, guys, go.

Guns N' Roses (whom I like less than Metallica) was together for 6 years. Then Slash toured with "Slash's Snakepit" (Which had some PHENOMENAL material) and released two full studio albums. Added to the five albums he released with Guns and Roses, that makes seven records. If we're going to talk about longevity, Slash has released more quality material than Hammet, even without the inclusion of the stuff he's putting out with Velvet Revolver (or Stone Temple Pilots 2.0).

i really disagree, i dont know about anyone eals but i really liked black album, load, reload, and st. anger but im not going there. Throught re-load (not St.anger) Kirk put ou some awsome solos you cant say he didnt even if you dont like the style of music they put out or if you didnt like the songs Kirk still put out awsome solos throughout his career.
R.I.P Dimebag
You Will Never Be Forgotten
# 14
garthio
garthio
05/10/2005 12:33 am
Then theirs the St.Anger album which i loved dispite their style change. Kirk didnt play any solos in the album but..........he is still coming up with some awsome soos that he playes at live gigs. so he didnt put solos in st.anger who cares!!!! he is still and awsome player who writes awsome solos he playes at live gigs!!
Kirk Hammet Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P Dimebag
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/10/2005 3:39 am
Originally Posted by: garthioThen theirs the St.Anger album which i loved dispite their style change. Kirk didnt play any solos in the album but..........he is still coming up with some awsome soos that he playes at live gigs. so he didnt put solos in st.anger who cares!!!! he is still and awsome player who writes awsome solos he playes at live gigs!!
Kirk Hammet Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about all that. St. Anger was pretty uninventive, unimaginitive, and unadventurous. Metallica's "style change" (which really began with the Black Album and became fully realized with Load if you actually give it a decent listen) seems, to me, nothing more than a cowardly retreat into a more mass-marketed type of rock: the abandonment of values. I'm glad Hammet didn't put solos on St. Anger. He's been completely out of new licks since 1991. However, I don't really look down on him for that. He'd been successfully writing music with Metallica for 11 years, so it's acceptable that he would eventually run out of juice. Still, stylistically, Hammet really isn't very creative. Look at his main collection of licks. He reuses MANY of them in a lot of his solos ad nauseum. A bit of recycling is perfectly acceptable (and normal) but Kirk only has about five or six licks.

Another question I have is this: is writing solos that you play at gigs all that is required to be a great guitarist?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/10/2005 3:49 am
Originally Posted by: garthioi really disagree, i dont know about anyone eals but i really liked black album, load, reload, and st. anger but im not going there. Throught re-load (not St.anger) Kirk put ou some awsome solos you cant say he didnt even if you dont like the style of music they put out or if you didnt like the songs Kirk still put out awsome solos throughout his career.

I can very easily say that Kirk Hammet didn't put out any awesome solos on Reload. Even Fuel (the "highlight" of that album) failed to impress me and is depressingly worse than his work on the Master of Puppets album. Kirk Hammet is really not a player with great feel (or much feel at all), so I listen to him to hear a pretty cool quasi-shred solo that fits the song appropriately. Now, albeit a few of his solos didn't really fit the song before "Load" (the solo for "Seek and Destroy" for instance), but "Load" and beyond were filled with solos that didn't pack half the power or semi-speed of his previous work.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 17
cayotic727
cayotic727
05/16/2005 6:27 pm
Ok so I'll admit that Kirk Hamett overuses the wah, but how many of us can't say we don't overuse distortion or reverb

But you can get as good technically as Slash by just playing alot

To get as good as Kirk Hammett in technique you'd have to WORK more

Slashh's phrasing and licks are alot better though

My Point: Kirk is more talented- I like slash better though
Alas for I am Jay! Reviver of very, very old threads!
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
05/16/2005 8:47 pm
Originally Posted by: cayotic727Ok so I'll admit that Kirk Hamett overuses the wah, but Steve VAi uses it in like every song too- so you cant hold the wah against him.

Yeah, but Vai is tasteful with it. Use and abuse are two different things.

But you can get as good as Slash by just playing alot

To get as good as Kirk Hammett you'd have to WORK more

Simply not true. First of all that would be different for different guitarists. Second of all, to have the feel Slash has you have to have talent and a good musical ear. To have the feel Hammet has you have to have a pick and a guitar. Playing like Slash requires emotion, something that, if you don't have, takes a LONG time to develop. Hammet just requires a little bit of practice. Besides, if you look at the number of licks each one employs, Slash has INFINITELY more varied, creative riffs. It's one thing to run down a minor descension at a fairly decent speed, it's another thing entirely to write a memorable solo like that of "Welcome to the Jungle."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 19
garthio
garthio
05/17/2005 2:29 am
Simply not true. First of all that would be different for different guitarists. Second of all, to have the feel Slash has you have to have talent and a good musical ear. To have the feel Hammet has you have to have a pick and a guitar. Playing like Slash requires emotion, something that, if you don't have, takes a LONG time to develop. Hammet just requires a little bit of practice. Besides, if you look at the number of licks each one employs, Slash has INFINITELY more varied, creative riffs. It's one thing to run down a minor descension at a fairly decent speed, it's another thing entirely to write a memorable solo like that of "Welcome to the Jungle."[/QUOTE]

I really disagree again, i will agree with you that slash is a tad bit more creative then kirk but more talented? @#$% no!!!! the solos kirk plays take way more skill as well as way more speed then any of slashes solos!
R.I.P Dimebag
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.