View post (Slash v Kirk Hammet)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/20/2005 2:14 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonman
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonPlus on Kirk Hammet's later work (*cough* where he'd run out of licks *cough*), he just hides behind his Wah pedal. Hammet doesn't have the imagination Slash does. Seems like a cool enough guy, though.

Actually a lot of great guitarists have used the wah in the past, Jimi Hendrix loved it, Dime used it, and my biggest big gun...Cream...listen to The Tale of Brave Ulysses by Cream, the whole song is wah man, but it's great. As is a lot of Kirk's stuff, I am in know means trying to say that Kirk is the best guitarist out there but I don't think he deserves all the flack that is thrown at him.

Tim Sult, the guitarist in Clutch, uses wah almost all night long and you'd never notice it; with Hammet, like it or love it, it's in your face the whole night and impossible to ignore. I can't say that a single guy you mentioned up there uses wah the same way Kirk does.

A guy I know who's been a Metallica fan forever and ever (one of the best guitarists I know, actually) went to see them a few years ago. As soon as he got back from the show, he went straight to his pedal board, removed his wah and threw it in a closet. I'm not sure how long it took that poor ol' Vox to make it back into his signal chain, but it took a long time.

I'm not one to get up in arms either way about Hammet, but I do think that his wah usage does offer fair grounds for criticism.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons