Tips for Guitar Solos?

Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/12/2001 3:53 am
ok I have sined, I ahvent been playing guitar as much as I should, but i've decided to dedicate myself to Metallica "One" solo and learn it untill i can play it with my thumb, but i've noticed like after 10 minutes the ends of my fungers get a little sore and make me uncofrtable to play, why is that, im only 15, but anywho, I need some tips for learning that solo, if you people know what im talking about, I can paly the tapping part really good, its jsut everything after that is hell, what are some tips you got for me?
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
04/12/2001 5:01 am
Personally, in the past Ive always had a habit of moving forward too quickly with my favorite solos, instead of methodically trying to learn them out. But we learn from the past, and that its important to play our favorite pieces right, even if it takes a little bit of time. Alot of the times we get overwhelmed because our friends have progressed much faster with certain guitar pieces, but you shouldn't let that bother you. Because we all work at our own pace, and in the end we all have our own special technique, (as well as hidden elements that no one else possesses.

The best tip that I can gve you is to use your ears as a guide, and listen to the song note by note and make sure you're not trying to play each piece way too fast...Speed with come in due time, but if you try and push yourself to the limit before you're ready, you might injure yourself. Just remember good tnhings come to those who wait, play each measure individually, and perhaps slowly. Be sure you have your fingers placed right in the most comfortable position on the fret board, and learn to excercise your level of patience...

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
RuDeE
RuDeE
04/12/2001 5:03 am
Learn how to play some other Metallica solos first that you can get real easy. Then the other solo will come. They are all pretty much the same, just variations. So.. keep it up, you'll get it down. And keep playing, and your fingers wont get sore anymore.
RuDeE
# 3
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/12/2001 2:09 pm
well, basicly i was riding the bus when my friend is like "oh man I can play that Van Halen "Eruption solo" and i just about crapped my pants, i mean, when we played before he couldnt even play iron man and have it sound good and in the next month he cna play it, I mean, if u cant play somthing decent why say u can do it, I'd rather be a slow musician and have it sound good then just hit a couple notes really fast
# 4
Joseph
Joseph
04/12/2001 6:40 pm
Originally posted by Mr. Vai
I'd rather be a slow musician and have it sound good then just hit a couple notes really fast [/B]

Well, the thing is that alot of people feel the need to impress their friends instead of impressing themselves. But in the long run, as the years pass us, we won't get very far until we ask ourselves what we want, and how we wan't to get there. It shouldn't matter to you how fast your friends have progressed with certain guitar solos, because different poeople have very strong convictions when it comes to certain songs, and these convinctions can't always be matched by others in the same way, nor the same pace. Just take your time, and you'll find your sweet spot. Playing the guitar is great experience, but it also tests your endurance.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/12/2001 10:31 pm
Ill tell you a little story.

There once was a chap. He played guitar. An acoustic guitar.The chap wasnt very good as the chap admitted himself although he could paly a ripping intro to Stairway To Heaven. One day the chap met up with his friend. This friend had been receiving guitar lessons for sometime. The chap was self-teaching and was needlessly anti-lessons due to bitter past experience. The chap didnt have much time or energy for learning his guitar. The chap remained admittedly not very good. The chaps friend often taunted and jeered the chap due to the chaps crapness while he was getting lessons for £30 an hour. One day the chap grew weary of his friends mockery and became serious in his playing. The chap obtained an electric guitar and began to learn simple songs. The chap moved onto harder stuff while still acting ****e in front of his friend. One day the chap set out to learn the Stairway To Heaven solo. Within 3 weeks the chap had learned it all. The chaps persistence payed off. A couple of weeks later the chap was ready to show his skills to the world. The chap invited his friend, who still though the chap was aload of ****e and that he was the dogs bollocks, over to his house for drinks. The chaps friend routinely picked up the guitar and started showing off in his gay little way doing Sunshine of your Love by Cream. The chap had long since learned this and moved on. The chap played his Stairway solo. The chaps friend was stunned.

What Im trying to say is be persistant and dont let what other people say or have done affect you unless it makes you try harder. My story...I mean the chaps story shows this.

[Edited by Led Zeppelin on 04-12-2001 at 06:34 PM]
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
04/13/2001 2:07 am
Hey, do whatever it takes to motivate yourself to reach higher goals in life..Ive always had a strong capacity to learn when it comes to the guitar (or any other instrument for that matter), not for others but for myself. I love the idea of creating music, and I wouldn't wan't to do it half-ass. Its great when you're willing to explore the many options with the electric guitar, and its definitely worth all of the time and effort, because once you feel comfortable with your technique, you've got it made.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 7
johnny5
johnny5
04/13/2001 4:49 am
dude you should learn soem other solos besides metallica that stuff is to easy.not to disrespect you.
jon
# 8
johnny5
johnny5
04/13/2001 4:50 am
are you taking lessons ????
jon
# 9
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/13/2001 10:32 pm
ya im taking lessons i learn hendrix stuff all the time too its not like im going through every metallica album and learning ever note from every song, its just 1
# 10
zepo
zepo
04/14/2001 12:54 am
Hey a tip to learning 'tallica songs is know your Em scales/key. Metallica sticks with Em in a whole lotta songs....oh yeah it doesn't hurt to know your Lydian and Mixolydian scales also.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 11
johnny5
johnny5
04/15/2001 5:17 am
oh k
jon
# 12
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/16/2001 6:05 pm
just a add on here, what solo really got u guys over the edge in thinking that you could never EVER play, and how did you learn it?
# 13
Joseph
Joseph
04/17/2001 2:31 am
Its just a feeling that comes over you, after weeks and weeks of practicing different techniques, it just gets easier. I don't we are ever completely satisfied when it comes to our own guitar solos, (and especially the solos of otrhers), but to feel comfortable, well thats an accomplishment in itself. There are several Metallica solos that I never thought I would learn completely, because of the weird timing and everything), but after a while it just kind of sinks in, its important to focus on your week spots. Record yourself playing your favorite solos slowly and listen those frustrating mistakes, and do whatever it takes to improve them. Because once we're in the moment, we sometimes think that our playing couldn't be better, where we think we're the greatest. But when we listen to ourselves on tape, its a whole different story, where everything comes into perspective...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 14
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
04/19/2001 5:56 pm
thats a good post there, well, ya i had bad experiances too, me and my band were practicing and at the time i thought i was like ya, know, i thought i was the sh!t. but, it comes crashing down ocne in awhile, well anyway we were practicing and this lil guy comes in (the theater was empty) and he comes in and we all just kinda slowly stop playing, and the guy comes up to me and says "can i try your geeeeetar?" well i said sure not knowing he was gonna shove a ozzy osbourne solo down my throat, it was kinda funny though because i had been showing off infront of our other guitar player but i guess thats what u get, and ya know i went to guitar lessons the other day and instead of learning ya know a steve vai solo or a metallica finger tapping solo, we learned a simple song that was actually nice to play it was ozzy - mama im comming home, it really just made me relize that if you can play somthing simple and make it sound like a million bucks and kinda make people smile when ur playing it or making someone kinda say "hey, thats kinda cool" it can be a whole lot better then staying up till 4 a.m. finger tapping a metallica solo to make a head turn
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.