Anybody reviewed a Taylor 514ce?

Gareth Gravell
Gareth Gravell
04/05/2005 4:23 pm
I'd like to read a review of a Taylor 514ce. I just bought one and would be interested to see if you had any problems
# 1
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/06/2005 2:40 pm
I think someone just told everyone at guitartricks that I've just received a Taylor Catalogue that is KILLING ME WITH ENVY and now y'all trying to rub it in!!!!! :mad: :mad:
ANYONE WHO MENTIONS A TyLOR HERE SHOULD GET BANNED BY ORDER OF KINGDAVID!!!
:rolleyes:
Go on and do the review. Obviously, a catalogue is meant to make you love instruments, so a review from an unbiased user would be nice.
By the way, if and when I get me a Taylor, it's gonna be a 614 CE. If Bob Taylor ever got the idea of gifting a PS14,I wouldn't mind, naturally.
If you think I'm faking my Taylor angst, just go to www.taylorguitars.com and order a catalogue. Then tell me how it feels.
# 2
Gareth Gravell
Gareth Gravell
04/07/2005 9:07 am
Originally Posted by: kingdavidI think someone just told everyone at guitartricks that I've just received a Taylor Catalogue that is KILLING ME WITH ENVY and now y'all trying to rub it in!!!!! :mad: :mad:
ANYONE WHO MENTIONS A TyLOR HERE SHOULD GET BANNED BY ORDER OF KINGDAVID!!!
:rolleyes:
Go on and do the review. Obviously, a catalogue is meant to make you love instruments, so a review from an unbiased user would be nice.
By the way, if and when I get me a Taylor, it's gonna be a 614 CE. If Bob Taylor ever got the idea of gifting a PS14,I wouldn't mind, naturally.
If you think I'm faking my Taylor angst, just go to www.taylorguitars.com and order a catalogue. Then tell me how it feels.

So I bought my Taylor 514 just over 3 months ago from an online store in the States. Saving me quite a few GBP, even though I had to pay a hefty import tax on it on delivery. I had always wanted a Taylor and so went ahead with the purchase

The instrument has a beautiful deep gold/red finish which is Spruce and mahogany sides with an ebony fretboard. It came supplied with Elixir 12s which I immediately changed to 10s for personal taste. It arrived in a high quality case which fits and huggs the guitar perfectly when placed inside.It plays beautifully. It's tone is very warm with very good mid ranges. The neck is quite wide when compared to other guitars and allows room for more difficult fingering. Long fingers are definitely a bonus when playing a necklike this

However I was disappointed with the action which was quite high. This surprised me because I had read reviews which said that its playing action was low and easy. There was also a very annoying fretbuzz on the low D.A and E strings from open through to frets 5. This buzz was also present before I changed the stringsAs you can imagine this was a great disappointment to me as I had high expectations from Taylor guitars. So I took the guitar to a local luthier who set it up for me. The first visit yielded no great results as there was still buzz and the action still a tad high. The next visit sorted the problem out and it now plays really well. The action is now much better and fingering is easier. However I still feel I could have opted for a 000 series Martin or even an Ovation for the price I paid. Although I am pleased with the guitar now I feel that a new instrument especially a Taylor should be perfect.
Having said this I did not have the opportunity of trying the instrument before hand although I have tried similar models in my local stores in U.K. Taylors however are quality instruments there's no question of that - I just feel a little disullusioned with the problems that I encountered.
So ...You pays your money and you takes your chances
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.