Cleaning the fretboard

Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
03/29/2005 5:12 am
What's a good product for cleaning an ebony fretboard. Most stuff at GC and whatnot seems so overpriced! I've heard that lemon oil is good. Where do get that stuff from?
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/29/2005 7:04 am
Awsome post.hmmm...here is a link to do just that(among other things)

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_3.htm

I used the steel wool.You can pick some up at home depot(the 0000 grade stuff)and the fretboard,if it hasn't been cleaned in a while(or ever)will look and feel brand new.Just wear a towel around your face,cuz that stuff smells bad.

If you want to get real serious about it,go to stew-mac.com and get...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretting_tools:_Fret_dressing,_polishing/Ceramic_Fret_Polishing_Wheels.html

and http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretting_tools:_Fret_dressing,_polishing/Fingerboard_Guards.html

and http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretting_tools:_Fret_dressing,_polishing/X-Treem_Metal_Polish.html

I looked into what oils work for ebony.It dosn't soak up lemon oil as well as rosewood so it simply needs to be applied a couple of times.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/31/2005 3:39 am
[font=trebuchet ms][u]Don't[/u] use a lot of oil! You want to apply it with a soft cloth by getting the cloth just damp, [u]not wet[/u]![/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
LegatoVibrato
LegatoVibrato
03/31/2005 12:14 pm
As a first step, I would only use the moisture from my breath and a soft cotton cloth to clean any fretboard (like cleaning your glasses).

And I would not use lemon oil. I would only use linseed oil in very small quantities. After application, continue to wipe off the excess every 15 min or so until you get it all.

Last, do not over do it. You can loosen your frets if you dump too much oil on the fretboard.

Peace

-----------
Legato
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/01/2005 1:35 am
I'm not sure what everone elses frets look like after 3+ months,but mine get caked pretty bad and I usually wash my hands before playing.The steel wool works very well.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/01/2005 2:50 am
Lemon oil used sparingly on an old sock.

Cost you about 5 bucks for a lifetime supply form your local mom and pop guitar shop.

I have used it for years and it works like a dream
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/01/2005 3:05 pm
A soft bristle tooth brush can be good at getting that caked on grime off of the board, and from around the frets.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Jackson#1
Jackson#1
04/07/2005 10:56 pm
The best stuff out there that I have found is either "Kyser, Dr. Stringfellow" lemon oil. Not only does it clean but will also condition the wood on the fret board. I con only get the stuff at either Kenelly Keys, or Band Aid Music. Steel wool is ok as long as you don't have any inlays. if you do it will sctach and dull your inlays. And I use either a round foam pad or the Ernie ball polish cloths from Kenelly Keys. ;)
# 8
bytemylobster
bytemylobster
02/29/2008 2:08 am
Hi from Calgary,
I did research on my Aria 9400 and found out that you should use 0000 steel wool to clean the frets (parallel to them), then the neck (perpenicular to the frets). Then you put something else on (I haven't found that out yet). I started playing in 1967, inspired by The Beatles, quit playing for 35 years, and am now starting. Once I clean my neck, I will re-string with light-strings, and use my new Beatles book. I am pumped.
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/29/2008 2:38 am
Generally, if the fretboard is just dirty with every day playing, I'll use just water in a spray bottle and cloth. For particularly dirty parts you ball up the cloth into a knuckle ball.
For really hardened dirt, use a little naptha on a Q-tip to get it wet & loosen it, then use something like a plastic radius gauge to gently scrape it off.
Keep the plastic even on the fretboard.

0000 steel wool can also be used gently on the fret/fingerboard joints.
When you're finished, use a fresh ball of wool to polish the entire fingerboard in in one direction along with the grain.

(don't use steel wool on a maple fretboard)

To finish off, if your fingerboard is dry (usually a white hazy look), use a dab of lemon oil to condition it.

Like with anything though, don't overdo it. You don't need to use steel wool or lemon oil every time you clean the fretboard.
Only do what's necessary.
There is actually a balance between the right amount of natural oil from your fingers and a dry fretboard.
# 10
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
03/02/2008 9:12 pm
wow there is no hard and fast rule for cleaning a guitar. everyone does something different.

on rosewood fingerboards

what i do is i tape up the fingerboard with blue painters tape, then i use very fine steel woll and gibson low abraision metal cleaner. after the frets are clean i take off the tape and with a poilish cloth i take everclear (95% pure grain alcohol) and i use it to wipe all the oils off the finger board and the neck. the i take a soft tooth brush and use gibson fret board conditioner is small cricles until every fret is done. then i leave it sit for about 2 hours and start to "buff" everything with a second cloth.

on maple

i use orange clean. and spray it down lightly the 'buff' it all away with a soft cloth. if its way too dry afterwards ill take a peice of wax and rub it against the fingerboard then use a tack cloth the wax it to a high shine.

i might be wrong becauce the alcohol zaps all the moister out of the fingerboard, but after i apply the conditioner its smoth and beautiful again.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 11
bytemylobster
bytemylobster
03/18/2008 10:21 pm
Thanx for the info. I have not used my guitar (rosewood neck) for over 20 years and used 0000 steel wool to clean the frets, then the neck (following the grain). Wow! What a difference. The key was moderation. Now, I wil use a clean rag to wipe it down after every session. I remember now about the calloused fingertips.
Thanx again,
Ter
# 12
spychocyco
spychocyco
03/19/2008 3:01 am
My last two main guitars have been maple, and I've been able to keep them clean just by washing my hands before I play and wiping them with a dry cloth afterwards. I clean every time I change strings. I used to use a very lightly damp cloth.

For the last several months, I've been using the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes, which I really like, but they're only for unfinished maple or rosewood, not for finished maple like you have on a Strat. They're great if you've got an old rosewood board that's getting a bit dry, too. It's essentially the lemon oil treatment in a pop-up wipe.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 13
J-E-M
J-E-M
03/19/2008 6:57 pm
When changing strings - a soft brush and some neutral shoe polish. After playing - wipe down the strings and fretboard. After several plays - silicon spray and wipe. No damp cloths; moisture + wood, and moisture + metal = not good.
# 14
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/30/2008 11:13 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaA soft bristle tooth brush can be good at getting that caked on grime off of the board, and from around the frets.

I tried tooth brushes.. I found them to be too soft. I enquired at the music shop what their luthier uses, and after being shown what the proper brush is, I went and bought a grout cleaning brush instead. It uses the same type of nylon bristles that a professional fret cleaning brush uses and is half the price.. plus the handle is more comfortable. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 15
-dragonfire-
-dragonfire-
04/06/2008 3:09 pm
Originally Posted by: light487I tried tooth brushes.. I found them to be too soft. I enquired at the music shop what their luthier uses, and after being shown what the proper brush is, I went and bought a grout cleaning brush instead. It uses the same type of nylon bristles that a professional fret cleaning brush uses and is half the price.. plus the handle is more comfortable. :)

Wait, I saw on my guitar care dvd that there's a special kind of bristle brush you can get. It's a steel wool brush. Get the smallest finest grade.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.