strings and damaging fingers

Portis_26
Portis_26
03/22/2005 9:28 pm
recently my finger tips are being torn to shreds like i can see 3 or 4 layers torn open. i got a new guitar and got erner ball super slinkies .09s when before i always used yamaha .1s could that be the problem. Or since i am still new (2 1/2 months playing) could this be what should happen? But my fingers did stop hurting earlier at about a month into it and now its starting up again with the new strings. Or could it be since i got my wisdom teeth taken out and i now have an excuse to sit there and due nothing so im playing like 8-12 hours a day?
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/22/2005 11:16 pm
Tell you what. Don't worry about it one bit. It's perfectly natural. I don't know how much the string brand would effect this, but my fingers are constantly being torn up then they turn into callouses. Every guitarist I've seen (that plays regularly and consistantly) has shredded skin and callouses.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/23/2005 3:40 am
[font=trebuchet ms]True, that. I've been playing since 1968, and sometimes my fingertips look like I was rock-climbing.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/23/2005 11:21 am
It comes with the territory man...
If you don't play for a few weeks, your figertips get soft. Then you go at it for a few weeks again and your fingers shred and peel until until you're pulling off scabs and skin. It takes time to build up calouses and it's painful, but hey.... that's the way it goes.

It's a right of passage so just go with the flow until you build up the strength to the point where you develop a layer of hardened skin.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.