When is ideal to start a band?

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/21/2005 9:48 pm
Ok, so I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I consider myself to be a competant guitarist. This was mainly thought up by Akira's "To be or not to be" thread and it got me wondering. When should a band begin? I was originally going to consider seriously moving towards the band idea at an estimated 6 years of experience that way I can guarantee that I'll have what I need ready to go. And I've tried to start a band on a couple of occasions and each time it never quite made it past a phone call. I was figuring I'd get some techniques down a bit better and learn some more music theory then get going. I'm just asking for a second opinion here. Suggestions?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
ake
ake
03/22/2005 3:51 pm
Bands really just don't start, they evolve. Usually a couple people get together and jam. If there is any chemistry, They may start asking around for usually a drummer or bassist or keyboard. Then if the people can find a common goal; walaaa a band.... girls, money, record contract, fame, concerts, SUPERSTARDOM!!!!! It's easy!!!
Forgive my sarcasm. Just find other musicians you like to be around and have fun. If it's ment to be [the band] ; It will be.
Peace my brothers!! Do It NOW!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/22/2005 8:34 pm
I've been in the same band for a few years now and I joined after 2 years of playing guitar. If the band stays together then you can improve from playing with other musicians. Playing by yourself can only get you so far...playing with people is much harder. You may think your keeping beat, but get a drummer and a bass player in there and you may be all over the place.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
darkman
darkman
03/22/2005 11:07 pm
:eek: You know I am in the same boat. I have been playing about 5 years and really seriously been playing about 2.. I didnt take lessons untill about a month ago. I wanted to learn the theroy part.. Well I kept with that for about 3 months and said **** You.. The teacher sucked..lol. and went back to teaching my self. That why I joined this site. But me and my buddie have been jamming for about a month. We had a bassest but he got a GF. and that was that. lol. I am still in highschool so i am not worried about getting big. Right now I am just setting my goals to playing as much as I can and having Fun. The Band will come together when its ready.
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/23/2005 4:00 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterYou may think your keeping beat, but get a drummer and a bass player in there and you may be all over the place.

On the positive side of things,there is NOTHING sweeter than clicking in together on an awsome riff.Everyone just gets an ear to ear grin and your in the zone...sweet.

Or when youve been working on a tough part where two or more people keep screwing up and in your head,the bridge/riff/solo/break down sounds so awsome...then it happens and your like PSYCHE!

A band is very rewarding and each piece,each song is an accomplishment you can be proud of and play with absolute conviction...its yours and you are able to play it that much better.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
ake
ake
03/23/2005 9:27 pm
Chuck nailed it!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 6
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/02/2005 10:55 pm
I was in two bands and both were failures . But when I jam with my good friends it jsut works and we can just jam but they have a band together and already have 2 guitarits so i will probably wait a while till i can find some people worth dstarting a band with
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 7
Tsmith2870
Tsmith2870
04/14/2005 2:33 pm
You have to know for sure what you want first. Do want to play lead, rhythm?
I f you are starting a band you for sure need to play what you want. If your are going
to join a band that is already making money you just have to do what you think is best for you. Myself I think you always need to stick with what you love no matter what. You can’t be a weekend warier and think your going to make it you have to work very, very hard. Some people think that its all fun. Playing for fun is great but if you’re going to go
Pro the fun wont come quickly. There are a lot of musicians that are really good out there
and you can bet it’s hard to compete. I guess what seems to take so much time in my opinion is listening to all kinds of music and then finding yourself. I can’t see anyone
being successful doing it any other way. Those that make it for sure do what others want.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.