Noise gate

English Enigma
English Enigma
03/16/2005 5:29 pm
I have been told that as I have active pickups, I should think about getting a noise gate pedal to help reduce feedback etc.

Can anyone suggest any noise gate pedals and also explain what they actually do.

Cheers....
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/16/2005 8:31 pm
I'm not sure about other models,but if you have active EMG's then you should have less feedback problems...they are pretty quiet.

Having a noise gate is STILL a good idea even in the most naturally silent rigs.

A proper noise gate cancles out hum and noise while letting your notes ring out.If you set the 'threshold' too high,it can cut your notes off and not let them sustain well.

I can personally recommend the Boss NS-2 pedal here...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/151331/
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
English Enigma
English Enigma
03/16/2005 8:52 pm
cheers for that, i have jackson humbuckers but they're not emg's
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2005 9:20 pm
A noise gate will not clean up the notes you play it will only "shut off" the signal (downwards expansion) once it falls below a predetermined value.

They are not really "must have" bits of kit however if buzzing whilst you are not playing whilst you have the volume up annoys you then they may be for you.

IMHO it is easier just to turn the volume on your guitar down.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
ibo2
ibo2
03/17/2005 1:48 am
There's a local band around her called Ashes Remain and their guitarist, Rob, gets killer tones on his leads. It's a really smooth sound, almost like a Les Paul but not as "hollow" sounding (you understand what I mean? It's kinda hard to explain) Anyway, I asked him about it, he said he uses something, I forget what he called it, that he said cleans up the tone after the preamp, smoothing out the notes. You guys know what that might be?
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2005 12:39 pm
That would be a compressor.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/19/2005 12:28 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonA noise gate will not clean up the notes you play it will only "shut off" the signal (downwards expansion) once it falls below a predetermined value.

They are not really "must have" bits of kit however if buzzing whilst you are not playing whilst you have the volume up annoys you then they may be for you.

IMHO it is easier just to turn the volume on your guitar down.

Ha, I'm way too lazy for that, I just got one of those cables that has an on/off switch on the input plug. None of this drug out effort of turning a knob, just the push of a button and silence.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/19/2005 4:53 am
are you talking about one of those new Planet Waves cables?

Question about noise gait's... What if the amp has a "buzz" on a dirty channel when the volume on the guitar is off? Would that help? It's kind of wierd. You know how it sounds (normally) when you have a chorus pedal engaged on a dirty channel? That's what it sounds like dry... kind of a metaly/electric :rolleyes: (keep comments to yourself's) sound, if that makes any sence. It's not horribly loud or very annoying, but slightly aggravating. Oh well, I guess that can be expected with a high gain amp. Ok, nevermind, I answered my own question.. or did I...

One more... Is a noise gate best used in the fx loop or infront of the amp, because my amps loop is basically useless other than a volume boost. One pedal no matter what with 12" total of cable will take ALL the presence away if I use effects in the loop :mad:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
ibo2
ibo2
03/21/2005 2:50 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonThat would be a compressor.

Compressor after preamp? I've only seen it before. Of course, I haven't seen too many of them used, to be completely honest... I dunno. Anyway which would sound better, before or after the preamp? thx.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.