Package Deals

spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
03/13/2005 2:53 pm
Ok, So my 12 yo nephew wants a guitar for his birthday. My brother and I have been looking at the different packages that are out there. Squire,Ibanez ect. Problem is neither of us started out with a "package" so what experience do the good people of GT have with them? Which is the better value, Playability, Sound? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[FONT=Arial]Champane taste and caviar dreams will leave you broke every time![/FONT] :cool:
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/13/2005 4:44 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]The thing to bear in mind here is that you're looking at entry-level gear which by definition is not going to be top-flight stuff. Another consideration is that it will all be from the same company.

Based on those two points, I would recommend Yamaha. No, I've never played one of their beginner packages, but I have played a lot of their guitars, my stereo is a Yamaha, and for that matter, both of my motorcycles are Yamaha. From my experience, they're a company that does everything well.

The best advice for an experienced player looking for a new piece of gear is to try things out with their eyes closed, and their ears and mind open. This ensures that choices are made based on sound, playability, and feel, instead of the brand name. Obviously, a beginner doesn't have the experience needed for that kind of assessment, so you could browse through the user reviews on the Harmony Central website. Unless this is intended to be a surprise present, the novice should be included in the selection process. At this stage of the game visuals and brand name are unavoidably important, and the more enthusiastic he is about the new gear, the more likely it is that he will persevere through the frustrations of the early learning process.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/13/2005 5:04 pm
My second or third guitar was a Squire (early Eighties) and I loved it. I wish I still had it as Id love to compare it with some of the high end axes I have now.

Anyway, a couple of ears ago my wife decided shed like to have a go learning the bass and we got a Squire Bass starters pack.

I thought it was great. She decided Bass was not for her so we sold it and got quite a reasonable price for it.

So, Id have a go with the squire however I am also bias as I am not a big fan of Ibanez and think the funny looking Heavy Metal ones look like silly.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Repeattwice
Repeattwice
03/13/2005 5:05 pm
Get whatever fits your budget the best and from a teachers stand point I'd stick to cheap, not wal-mart cheap but cheap the chances of your nephew sticking with it is really up in the air, so if he likes it a lot down the road spend a few more bucks on his next insturment. As for brand i'd would agree w/ Lordathestrings, all will be about the same quality but keep in mind that you want to stick w/ companies that make a particular product not 5 billion different products, though I must say i've been pleased w/ what yamaha has done over the years.
# 4
spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
spiritinthesky2
High Bandwidth
03/13/2005 7:05 pm
Thanx everyone, I appreciate the input.
[FONT=Arial]Champane taste and caviar dreams will leave you broke every time![/FONT] :cool:
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/13/2005 11:11 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Good gear advice!

An R6 might actually hold you back because it's best to start out on something you can flog the snot out of without worrying about damaging yourself or a valuable machine. That said, I've been riding since 1983. My current rides are a semi-restored 1973 RD200B and a 1986 FJ1200S that I bought new (rebuilt last year).[/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Dante7978
Dante7978
03/14/2005 12:21 am
Wouldn't it be an important matter to get the gear that would match his musical taste? If he likes punk, give him any crappy amp with any ****ty guitars. If he likes rock, get an amp with the nice crunchy sound. If he likes metal, get a guitar with a descent humbucker pickup. All I'm saying is that you should get the gear for the music that he would like to play. Then again, if a low budget is important, then you can always go with the Kramer Focus at musicyo.com or the Pacer.
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 7
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/14/2005 2:42 am
I work in a motorcycle shop (one of the best in Ottawa) and its funny how many people come in and ask if the ZX-10 is a good beginner bike...This bike does 150km/h in first gear and costs over $11000...these people have more money than brains....I get asked that question all the time and I'm a mechanic...I'd hate to be a sales guy and have questions like that asked to me all the time...

As for R6 being a beginner bike....no....look at the Kawasaki EX500 or even an enduro bike such as the Honda XR/XL series 250/350/600...The Honda's are bulletproof but kickstart..and if your not a big guy starting the 'ol 600 may be a chore...
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 8
ake
ake
03/15/2005 3:02 am
Most of the starter packs would be just fine for a 12yr old. Just be sure to have the tech at the store to set the guitar up so it isnt hard to play. Nothing discourages a kid like a guitar with to high action. The starter packs today are sure a lot better than the junk I started on.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.