Floating bridge

Hamberg
Hamberg
03/08/2005 7:10 pm
I just got new strings for my guitar. They are much thicker then my old strings. It appears as if the tension from the strings is pulling the bridge up and raising my action. How do i correct this problem with out replacing the thicker strings?
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
03/08/2005 9:11 pm
You just need to take the cover off the back of the guitar and adjust the springs....You'll need to tighten the screws to make the springs have more tension to pull the trem unit back down....It'll take some time, so don't get frusterated...Floating trem's can be a pain in the ass to get set up right. First adjust the springs to where the action is where you want it, then tune the strings, then adjust the springs, tune the strings.....keep going back and forth between the strings and springs and it'll eventually work itself out.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/08/2005 10:09 pm
oi... I know what a pain in the arse a floating trem is.. yeah, just do what JFRICK said... and if you find that you have screwed the trem claw all the way in, and your action is still really high, then you may need to add an additional spring to the back like I had to... apparently, this is a common problem with ibanez guitars, but I don't know what kind of guitar you have
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
fastelvis
fastelvis
03/13/2005 7:31 am
If you get up to five springs and the claw is all the way in, need to get some lighter guage strings, man!

If you were at three springs (common), you may not like the feel of four. You can move the two outer springs so they hook into the outside holes on the tremelo but leave them in the middle hooks on the claw. This will angle the spring and stretch them out a little more, maybe giving you enough tension to level your trem without adding more springs.

Although not as fluid a feel as a three spring trem (with lighter guage strings), I do think four springs (with heavier guages), aid in trem return height accuracy and helps limit the other strings from going flat when you're bending notes. You will also break fewer strings.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.