chime type of technique

joshers
joshers
03/04/2005 8:48 pm
i remember looking through this forum and someone asked how does steve vai hit a note behind a fretted note. that got me thinking, by the way i don't know how steve vai does that, or have heard him do that, i barely know his work :(!

well tinkering on the guitar, i noticed if you fret with your right hand, well for me, index finger from right hand (picking hand), put the index finger over a fret, works best with with the 22nd fret for me (22nd being the last fret i have), and you tap behind it with your left hand, you'll hear a chime type of sound. sounds louder with gain, and treble up.

anywho if you tinker with it, you'll create some pretty cool chime effect sounds, almost like richard wright's piano sounds from the song time (dsotm).

my question is what is the proper name to this technique, if its a technique at all and any tips on it.
# 1
guitarist101
GT Instructor
guitarist101
GT Instructor
03/05/2005 10:47 am
I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking of but it sounds like you're playing a natural, or maybe an artificial/pinched, harmonic.

Natural Harmonic: On these you can place a fretting finger (left hand) over a fretwire (3rd, 5th, 12th, 24th are the easiest to use) and then pick the string to create the "chime" type effect.

Artificial/pinched harmonic: With this one you'd push down a fret with your left hand and then use your index finger of your picking hand to go over the fretwire 12 frets above that note to create a "chime." An example of it is in my lessons where I show how to play the NBC chimes using these harmonics.

ex. (lh = left hand frets 2nd fret)
(rh = right hand - use index over 14th fret's fretwire, play string with middle/thumb, if hyou're using a pick that is)

L.H. R.H
e |---2-----(14)-------|

Hope that helps.

Here's a link to the NBC trick:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7530
# 2
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/05/2005 5:44 pm
I think this is what your thinking about Joshers:

http://www.xtrememusician.com/info/guitar/techniques/25.html
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.