Recording In tracks...

Re2point0
Re2point0
03/04/2005 6:59 pm
hey guys,

Got a big question for you....

Me and my buddy had an arguement today about which way is easier to record, and I'de like to know for sure which way is better for my future recording.

ok so right now me and 2 of my friends are recording a song. We are using Sonar 3 for the recording.

We have midi drums on one track, My lead guitar on another track, and my buddy plays acoustic through verses on a third track.

The way I've been recording is I'de have the guitarist play the verse and stop.when He had done a good take I would split it were the verse ended and then we would record the chorus, on the same track, but it would'nt be all in the same take. And I'de do that through the whole song.

My buddy says it would be easier to record my friend playing the whole song through instead of splitting it into (verse, chorus,verse,bridge,chorus: on different takes). And then we could do whatever to it afterwards

i have a big theory of steps in recording.

1>Recording stage
2>mixing stage

I'de like to know which Way is the better way. And if both of them arnt the best way of doing it, what is the best way.

We are limited to a normal mic, and line in: input for the computer. So we cant do multiple tracking like I'de want to.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO RECORD!!!!!?????? :confused:
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2005 7:23 pm
You are going to hate me but the answer is dependent upon two things:
1) how good the finished product sounds
2) how much fun you had getting there

If it were me, Id do as many takes as possible all the way through as you can pick the best and edit down the material later.

If you are pushed for time, then just record a loop.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.